Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Name this one

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Horseshoes

Horseshoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

Here is a pic of who made a visit on my veranda. I have more pics but this one seems good. Name anyone?

[attachment=20541:longlegs.JPG]

When in Nova Scotia stop into JD's Bows & Guns

#2 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

Looks like a Crane Fly to me. (Family Tipulidae). Most species are aquatic and feed on rotting vegetation. There are many artificial imitations, usually called Daddy Longlegs or something like that.

#3 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

Rockworm has it, yes it is a Crane fly. Cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#4 the saltydog

the saltydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

And its a female, indicated by the sharp ovipositor (rear end). The larva eat as Rockworm described, but the adults don't eat.

I happened to have the book on my end table.

#5 Horseshoes

Horseshoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

Thanks. I thought so, but it was so big I wasn't sure. thumbsup.gif

When in Nova Scotia stop into JD's Bows & Guns

#6 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (the saltydog @ Jun 7 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And its a female, indicated by the sharp ovipositor (rear end). The larva eat as Rockworm described, but the adults don't eat.

I happened to have the book on my end table.

Hey SaltyD, I thought the adults carried off infants that did not behave, or so I was told. rolleyes.gif Cheers, Futzer

Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#7 rich5665

rich5665

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

I've seen them called Crane Flies and Daddy Long Legs on this site. I've always heard them called the Mosquito Hawks here in NJ
Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19

#8 flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (rich5665 @ Jul 28 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've seen them called Crane Flies and Daddy Long Legs on this site. I've always heard them called the Mosquito Hawks here in NJ

Is a skeeto hawk the same as a crane fly?

Acts 4:19,20 :But Peter and John replied, "Do you think God wants us to obey you rather than him? We cannot stop telling about everything we have seen and heard."

#9 Ridleyffo

Ridleyffo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

We always called them Skeeter Eaters
I fish therefore I am.