Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing? (304 member(s) have cast votes)

If You Had To Give Up Tying Flies Or Fishing, Which Would It Be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 cencalfly

cencalfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

Would have to give up tying. One of enjoyments of fishing are the places it takes you. If it weren't for the fishing quest, I don't know if I would visit those places as often.

#17 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

This is like the Kobioshi Maru on Star Trek "the no win secenario" .To me you can't have one without the other. Some of you live in areas where there are fishing seasons , but where I live we fish year round. The only things that keeps me off the water are other commitments and severe weather. Tying can be done in the evenings and wheather seldom effects it. And there is nothing like tying for a particular trip. Crafting each fly to perfection in the hopes of enticing a trophy sized fish. So unlike the model makers who try to create flies that can never be fished ; fishing is why I tie. I can do one without the other ,but it would leave me empty and unfullfilled. This is a very hard question . It would
be as hard as deciding wether to be paralized from the neck down or loseing your sight.
Fred
"My head is a prison, my times on the water are conjugal visits" Fred Hannie

visit my website http://www.realisticflytying.net

#18 rstout

rstout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

I tie to enhance my fly fishing experience. Nothing as exciting as hooking up on a new pattern that I have tied myself. Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot of hours every week tying and I am not sure what I would do if I couldn't tie. I would probably save a lot of money but I would be pretty miserable. I have to fish.
Somebody just back of you while you are flyfishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. Ernest Hemingway

#19 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

I suppose if I gave up tying I would have more time to fish...right...? I got to go with Fred on this one...no win.
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#20 ibian

ibian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

I could not give up fishing but someone needs to tie flies so we can buy them. cruel, cruel poll. I can't wait to see the other responses.
Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation.

#21 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

Leave it to china!

but someone needs to tie flies so we can buy them

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#22 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

neither I choose death

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#23 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

Very cruel poll you started Mike!

I probably couldn't choose one, so I choose to move to another country!! j_k.gif biggrin.gif
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#24 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

???

the gales of November remembered...

#25 Drath

Drath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

Id have to give up tying. While I truly enjoy tying for friends and family Id go crazy if I could never fish anything I tie. If I couldnt fish Id probably keep tying for a while though. I could see myself tying up a bunch of flies for a buddy who has a big trip planned. But, in the long run, I pretty much have to fish (test) a new pattern that Ive learned before I feel comfortable giving it to friends or family. If I gave up fishing Id be stuck tying the same flies and not learning any new patterns or techniques. That would probably bring a slow death to my tying as well.

-D

#26 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

That isn't even a contest!!!!!!!!!! Fishing will always come first.

fatman
Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman

#27 BrianMyers

BrianMyers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (riffleriversteelheadslayer @ Jun 22 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
neither I choose death

Agreed, Option 3 it would be - rolleyes.gif Hari kari ( its always an option ).

They call it roadkill, We call it dubbing.

#28 j74snook

j74snook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

What a hard choice. I picked fishing only because I spend more time tying than fishing. Just dont have the time I really need to go fishing anymore (DAMN LIFE). So any free time I have which is little by the way, I spend it tying.
It takes less time to do it right than to do it over. (my pop jwj III)

#29 searsportshuffle

searsportshuffle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

Most of us would give up tying and I would also choose to give up tying. however... most of us will still be able to tie well past the time when our bodies will not be able to hike to favorite spots or down steep banks to our favorite streams. Just thinking we may have to give up fishing before we have give up tying.

#30 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Lets see, two loves. One, man cave, and a desk. Two mountain stream, fresh air, wild fish. Hmmm, both technical and satisfying, both a cold beer when finished as a celebration. Hmmm, both can be done with my friends, or satisfyingly by myself.

It is a tough choice, but the Mountain stream wins this round. Hello Umpqua, can I start a credit line? Gone fishing. Cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.