Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: If You Had To Give Up One--Tying Or Fishing? (304 member(s) have cast votes)

If You Had To Give Up Tying Flies Or Fishing, Which Would It Be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Isonychia

Isonychia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:04 PM

Twenty years ago, I'd have said I'd give up tying. Now it's just the opposite. Ongoing back-pain problems have made fishing very, very difficult. In the last two years, I've fished a grand total of three hours. Fly tying "keeps my hand in the pastime," so to speak.

John
Offending the sensibilities of discerning trout since 1955

#62 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

i enjoy tying so much I would say give up fishing. Doesn't help I have not been out for almost 4 years sad.gif .... been sick but next spring is when I bounce back
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#63 Gaddy

Gaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

For me that is like saying which one of your kids do you love better. wallbash.gif
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

#64 BigBrownTrout

BigBrownTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

I would give up tying as I am a fisherman first and foremost. I tie flies in order to fish. Since they are so closely related, fishing just wouldn't be the same having to rely on others ideas and creativity (whom doesn't fish assuming you can only do one, tie or fish) to create success.

#65 ChuckingFluff

ChuckingFluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

I had to give up both about 9 months ago this year. I'm slowly coming back and can't wait to tie a fly again.
><)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))( >> ><))(>

#66 Copperhead22

Copperhead22

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

I'd rather give up tying because I can buy pretyed flys at almost every tackle store

#67 MWl

MWl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Well I do love to tie. I would give it up. I like to cast as much as I like to fish.

Michael headbang.gif

#68 waterloosunset

waterloosunset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

I've thought of an even more cruel poll than this if anybody's up for it?
Dirty old river, must you keep rolling, rolling into the night?

waterloosunsetflyfishing.blogspot.com

#69 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

When I was younger, I would have said I would give up tying before fishing. But now, as hard a choice as it would be, I would say I would give up fishing before tying. I have a dedicated tying space now, small as it is, so I can always tie a fly or two when the mood strikes me. Unfortunately, given the realities of my work schedule and economic status, I can't always go fishing when I want to, and if gas hits $5 a gallon like the experts are saying, my trips may become even more limited.
I am glad, though, that I do not have to make that choice.

#70 RagingBull

RagingBull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

Although i have absolutly no intention of giving up either one, but if i was forced to im sorry to say that it would be tying. Like it has been stated so many times before tying is just a means to enhance my fishing experience. Fishing is the main goal and fly fishing is not the only fishing i do. I mainly got into flyfishing for steelhead a few years back and last year was really the first time i incorperated fly fishing into my trout strategy. However i probably spend more time on the boat in the spring and summer fishing for crappie and walleye than trout and steelhead fishing combined so for me to give up fishing all together and keep on tying would really put a damper on my overall happiness lol
" I salute the gallantry and uncompromising standards of wild trout, and their taste in landscapes " -John Madson

#71 bluegill576

bluegill576

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

If I had to give up one of the two I would give up fishing because I have become addicted to fly tying and I can do it easier than fishing because for fishing I have to go to a place where as for tying I have to go to my fly tying bench.

#72 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

I'd game the system.

First I'd give up fly fishing. After I accumulated enough flies, I'd quit tying and go back to fishing.
Once the flies were exhausted I'd quit fishing and go back to tying... and on and so forth.

#73 bbird

bbird

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

It's a really tough decision to make, but I would probably give up tying. I started tying so I wouldn't have to buy cheap flies tied overseas. I would rather fish with store-bought flies than not fish at all.

#74 firedad

firedad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

I'm new to both and am having to teach myself, so naturally it's easier to learn about which bugs to put on the end of my tippet by learning to tie. So that said I would give up tying because I tie to fish.