Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

caddis question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 littleman

littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

i found some caddis in a stream and took them home. their not in their case but their in a cocoon type thing. so my question is is their anyway to keep them alive and let them hatch. thanks

#2 rstout

rstout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

Littleman,

I have seen caddis flies seal of the end of their cases and attach themselves to rocks like a cacoon but am unsure why they do it. You may be able to hatch them as long as the water is oxygenated enough like a fish tank and kept cool enough. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Good luck,
Rob
Somebody just back of you while you are flyfishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. Ernest Hemingway

#3 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

Assuming you have a pupa (and not one of the tent-making caddis larva), an adult caddisfly should emerge from the cocoon if you can keep it alive throughout its pupal period. Keep it in a gallon or more of its home water and try to maintain a similar temperature. You should oxygenate the water: a small air pump connected to a "bubble stone" should work fine. (Both are used by people who keep fish in tanks.) Good luck!

#4 littleman

littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

thanks guys their still alive and you can see the wings turning colors its cool. Im curious to see what they look like when they hatch

#5 flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

post some pics please. I am interested to see what you have there.
Acts 4:19,20 :But Peter and John replied, "Do you think God wants us to obey you rather than him? We cannot stop telling about everything we have seen and heard."