Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what size thread is what?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

how do you know what theread is for what flys...i was started tying flys wth thread that was rated in denier..so 70 denier for drys...140 denier for bigger nypmhs and other stuff and 280 or 340 denier for like bass bugs...poppers and some saltwater...so my question is what is like 3/0 thread for? and 8/0 or 6/0?if im thinking rite it would go smalles to biggest as follows 8/0, 6/0, 3/0 but idk...can anyone help me

#2 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

Aught sizing is not standard across manufacturers, so Uni 6/0 may not be the same size as Gudebrod. Denier is an industry standard. As for Uni thread I use 8/0 for trout flies, dries and nymphs. I use 6/0 for light hair work, say a muddler head. I use 3/0 occasionally for Spinning hair bass bugs. I use 12/0, 14/0 and 16/0 for small dries below 24s. So in a nut shell, but large the aught number the finer i.e. smaller diameter it is.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#3 lykos33

lykos33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Futzer @ Aug 2 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aught sizing is not standard across manufacturers, so Uni 6/0 may not be the same size as Gudebrod. Denier is an industry standard. As for Uni thread I use 8/0 for trout flies, dries and nymphs. I use 6/0 for light hair work, say a muddler head. I use 3/0 occasionally for Spinning hair bass bugs. I use 12/0, 14/0 and 16/0 for small dries below 24s. So in a nut shell, but large the aught number the finer i.e. smaller diameter it is.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Futzer.

help.gif So basically in Denier rating, the smaller the number the smaller the thread, and in aught rating just the opposite, 16/0 smallest and 3/0 largest?
unsure.gif
I'll fish for anything I tell ya!!!
Murray Buck

#4 flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (Futzer @ Aug 2 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Futzer.

thank you

#5 flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

thanks

#6 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

Lykos33, yep you got it

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:38 AM

read this

http://www.flyfisher...read/index.html

or start at page 17

http://www.whitetail...DF/2009v1.1.pdf
Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#8 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hi flyfisher117,

I've been buying large quantities of Danville thread for about 30 years. Several years ago they changed their thread ratings as follows:

Old designation New designation
6/0 70 denier
3/0 140 denier
Size A, single strand, etc 210 denier

Gretchen and I use Danville (waxed AND unwaxed) for all of our tying and it has served us well over the years. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com

#9 flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Al Beatty @ Aug 12 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi flyfisher117,

I've been buying large quantities of Danville thread for about 30 years. Several years ago they changed their thread ratings as follows:

Old designation New designation
6/0 70 denier
3/0 140 denier
Size A, single strand, etc 210 denier

Gretchen and I use Danville (waxed AND unwaxed) for all of our tying and it has served us well over the years. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com

so what is tere 8/0 rated or do they have any 8/0..and are you the Al Beatty out of boise that deals with danica danvises?
i live just outside of boise

#10 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

so what is tere 8/0 rated or do they have any 8/0..and are you the Al Beatty out of boise that deals with danica danvises?
i live just outside of boise
[/quote]

Hi flyfisher117,

The ?/0 designation tends to be different from one manufacturer to the other. I have some 8/0 thread from one manufacturer that is bigger than 6/0 from another. The denier designation is an attempt by some people in the industry to provide "common sizes." Unfortuneately they have been no more successful than the hook manufacturers were a few years ago when they tried to "standardize" hook sizes (sometime compare a #20 TMC with a Mustad 94840).

Gretchen and I are in Boise.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com