Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do you thread your bobbin?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Boobin threading.

Which method do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

I personally suck my thread through the tube. I have found that if I use my bobbin threader it will scratch the inside of the tube.

my 2 cents

gage
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#2 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

I use these plastic dental things, they're blue with a loop at one end. They're cheap, about a buck and a half for a couple of dozen. If you lose one you've lost a couple of cents. They're soft, they won't scratch anything.

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#3 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (TroutBum @ Aug 9 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use these plastic dental things, they're blue with a loop at one end. They're cheap, about a buck and a half for a couple of dozen. If you lose one you've lost a couple of cents. They're soft, they won't scratch anything.

Thanks for replying! That sure is a great idea!

thanks,

gage

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

~The one and only StF.

#4 BigDaddyHub

BigDaddyHub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

several years ago, we had this same discussion, I think Luvin'bluegills started it (former mod back in the day....Troutbum may remember back when) and the responses were very interesting...Personally, I'm a sipper/sucker....just as a matter of being too lazy to find my threader, albiet less than ideally hygenic when you think of all the things the bobbin has come into contact with, not least of which is a human hand....but, alas, I'm a sucker...
Hug your daughters, or someone else will.

#5 Arkansas Mike

Arkansas Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

ARKANSAS MIKE SUCKS!

Mike

#6 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

I use both the dental gizmo TB said and the regular bobbin threader .. so I voted other. wallbash.gif But with about 60 bobbins of a few varieties that hold lead, wire, tinsel and silks and different types of threads I'm hoping before too much longer I'll have pretty much everything I need ready to go.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#7 Scud

Scud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

I suck it through the tube. It's the easiest and nothing to loose.

Jeremy
Cover the Earth Before Earth Covers You!

#8 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

None of the above....I just push the thread up through the tube.

Jan
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#9 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Arkansas Mike @ Aug 9 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ARKANSAS MIKE SUCKS!

Mike

lol.gif

~The one and only StF.

#10 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! This is giving me some ideas. shifty.gif

(example) I need more bobbins and I need those dental thingies. biggrin.gif

thanks,

gage

~The one and only StF.

#11 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

Yep most of the time I do the suck thing and others I use the floss threader

#12 JRG

JRG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

I usually try to get that big chunk o gunk off the bottom before I re-thread before sucking on it.... If you think about it though, it's mostly new/clean thread that touches the bobbin for the most part.

#13 Scud

Scud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (JRG @ Aug 9 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I usually try to get that big chunk o gunk off the bottom before I re-thread before sucking on it.... If you think about it though, it's mostly new/clean thread that touches the bobbin for the most part.

As oppossed to old dirty thread? I've never tried to reuse thread. Where does the big chunk of junk come from? I've never experienced that and want to avoid it.

Jeremy
Cover the Earth Before Earth Covers You!

#14 TitanFlies

TitanFlies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Like the first week of my fly tying career I used the bobbin threader. Then the sunuvabitch got be so mad it is now some where in my cistern. I'm a sucker.
"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." -Frank Cobb

#15 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

I used to suck, but with the C&F bobbins, there is a piece of foam at the end to keep the thread from falling back out. So it requires a threader. If you pinch I piece of 5X with a flat plier it will work good too. That was a during trip fix, for a forgotten threader.

And I take it Smalliefanatic does not use any 14/0 or smaller :-)

Cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.