Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

% of Time Spent Tying

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: % of Time Spent Tying

What percentage of the time you spend on fishing related activites is devoted to fly tying?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kyflytyer

kyflytyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

I love fly fishing, but I have found that I enjoy tying even more. Of the time I spend on fishing related activities, I spend about 75% of it tying and the rest fishing. So, how much time do you spend tying?
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

#2 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

About 90% of my fishing related activities is fly tying
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#3 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

I tie at least 3 hours a day (when Im not on the water) and spend at least 2 days a week on the water. Im not very proficient at math but I'd say its about equal.
"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com

#4 txflytier

txflytier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

I have found I tie ahole lot more then I fish. I send a few hours anight tying and checking out fly tying related sites. ( here lol and a few others )
So I said 90% of my time is fly tying. I just need to start keeping some of the flies I tie and stop giving them away to all the mooches at work that dont even fly fish lol.. Or to the few fly fishermen I do know lol... I will tie a dozen and give them all away lol I dont really care about the giving them away but it seems like I dont keep atleast one of them for myself lol.. I have started to here lately though .. I have started tring to get a few bass boxes together. I have always tied for them but gave them away lol so this should be fun.

Chance
What movie is this from??

One bright day in the middle of the night. Two dead boys got up to fight. Back to back they face one another.
They drew there swords and shot each other. A deaf Policeman heard the noise came and killed the two dead boys...

#5 aaplant

aaplant

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Started out tying because I wanted a hobby that I could spend some time on when I had some time. Have recently decided that I should get my creations in the water so the balance between tying and fishing may change. Also like surfing tying related sites and getting new ideas for the tying table.

#6 Fly Tyer Guy

Fly Tyer Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

91-100%, not 100%, but close.

Visit my website, My Webpage, A work in progress

Dustin Driscoll

#7 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Like a lot of other folks, I suppose, I have to drive (5 hours +/-) to annoy any trout, and I still work for a living, so most of my time is spent around home. So my ratio of tying to fishing tends to be very lopsided with tying on the high side.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#8 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

I tie for my shop and for myself. I love fly fishing but the tying is just satisfing. a Mind opener.

sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#9 cussfly16

cussfly16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:12 PM

I tie everyday at least 6 of something(or more) to keep fingers nimble. My skills improve and friends fly boxes fatten ....... I wish the fishing time and the tying time was equal, but i have to give the nudge to tying being the more dominant activity......

#10 mnorton

mnorton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

lately...not enough..got ot get back since the boys are in school.
[s]TIGHT LINES AND SCREEMIN REELS YEE HAW

#11 cencalfly

cencalfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

It's about half and half for me during the summer into the fall. A little less in the winter. Get out about 2 times a week including weekends. Fortunate to have year round fishing here. It takes anywhere from a half hour to get to rivers here in the San Joaquin Valley (San Joaquin and Kings Rivers) to 1 1/2 hr to the Sierras (Merced, Upper Kings...). rolleyes.gif

#12 Firetiger

Firetiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

My tying bench never gets cold, I try to make at least half a dozen flies each day. Unfortunately I live a couple hours driving from a decent trout fishery, so I get more often to tie than to fish; though when I fish I lose all track of time and spend my time in a perfect bliss smile.gif

#13 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

I would say that for me there is more oppertunity to spend time tying than there is fishing.
And this comming from a person with a 2 acre pond less than a hundred yards from his backdoor. Tying can be done anywhere , anytime. It does'nt have a season and is not effected by weather. It can be done morning or night. Last night I spent a couple of hours tying flies for todays outing , so today I will spend more time fishing than tying. Having a full time job, a family , friends ,yard work and countless other resposibilities are part of my life at this stage .And it is a blessing to find time to fish or tie .
Fred
"My head is a prison, my times on the water are conjugal visits" Fred Hannie

visit my website http://www.realisticflytying.net

#14 chuckandducker

chuckandducker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Every year I say I'm going to fish more this season but with work, 2 teenage daughters, life etc. I'm not on the water as much as I would like to be. Also my season doesn't start until June 16 and closes October 31 so that's only like 4 1/2 months and last time i checked there is still 12 months in a year so you do the math! I tie way more then i fish. Besides it gets me through the long Alberta winters!

cheers chuckandducker

#15 jarredbehrendt

jarredbehrendt

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

The amount of time I spend on both varies seasonally. Throught the spring, summer, and fall I spend at least 90% the amount of tying time on the water. through the ice season, I spend 95% of my time tying. So over the course of a year I would say that I am pretty balanced.