Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

C-clamp or Pedastal

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you secure your vice to the table/desk ?

how do you secure your vice?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 fishabuoy

fishabuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

Have tied on both pedestal, and c-clamp, but since about 3yrs ago prefer the latter.

I had a serious accident mountain biking 3yrs ago, broke both my back/neck and was paralyzed from the chest down, for a few hours two different times (once at the scene of the accident, and again during one of my surgeries putting "humpty dumpty" back together again). Needless to say, I'm now highly sensitive to tying position and bio-mechanical stresses while tying.

I use a Barracuda w/adjustable extender to move the vice away from the table and near chin level, close to my chest. I have to avoid hunching my shoulders and too much neck flexion (what ends up happening when "over" your vice) and must also not lift my arms off the arm-rests of my chair, nor extend my C-Spine too much (what happens when the vice is too high). I now tie with the vice at a level slightly below my chin and very close to my body which allows me to keep neck and upper T spine in the most neutral position, while not extending my arms too high or too far away from my body, causing the least fatigue. I'd last 10min at the vice / session without the adjustable arms.

#32 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

only used a C clamp so I guess that would be my option
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#33 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

Pedestal but I swapped mu HMH base for a Peak one. Its bigger and has a side post
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#34 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

i have a pedestal now and it just seems more convient
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#35 wetieit

wetieit

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

Depends.

I am mostly a "Demonstration Tyer" when I am at work in my shop. Many people come in to see how I would tie this or that pattern, so I use a pedestal base because it's easier for them to see what I'm doing.

When I get "down & dirty" and have to knock out a bunch of flies, then I go to a drop down version of the c-clamp because it takes a lot of load off my shoulders and arms. I'm not trying to teach anyone anything in this mode, I'm just doing my work.

I tie on the very first 8 stop, Dyna-King Barracuda Indexor with a custom drop bar from Ron. I also use an extra large custom pedestal base from Ron - he made me one that weighs 8 pounds so it will not move when I'm really cranking down on the thread.
/Users/wetieit/Desktop/Hook-up @sunset.jpg

#36 Moscow

Moscow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

I use a pedestal with both of my Renzetti Travelers. I bought a C-clamp for them over 20 years ago thinking I would need it when I go camping but I have never used it. The pedestal works in every situation I've needed to tie.

Moscow
'Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.' - Leo Tolstoy

#37 tonysurface

tonysurface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (Moscow @ Dec 28 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use a pedestal with both of my Renzetti Travelers. I bought a C-clamp for them over 20 years ago thinking I would need it when I go camping but I have never used it. The pedestal works in every situation I've needed to tie.

Moscow

After ramming me knees into a C clamp, I have switched over to a pedestal. The pedestal allows me to move my vise out of the way if I need a writing space. I use a DK Barracuda with a 6lb pedestal so stability isn't an issue like it was with my Renzetti Traveler.

#38 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

for years i used only a c clamp.. (regal).. then i went to norvise. and have been using the platform that came with the kit i got.. i also have a anvil apex.. that i got to use on the road.. or at classes etc.. i have yet to use it.. it has the c clamp and the pedistal..

i have had not trouble doing deer hair on the norvise.. it does not move.. i don't have a permanent tying location yet.. but i am soon converting a computer armoire into my tying space..
i will probably still use the norvise attached to its own platform..

#39 gaeronf

gaeronf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Home or sufficient space-pedestal
Travel or Cabin-C-clamp

#40 Runarsson

Runarsson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

Depends...

At home I use pedestal. I often move from the tyingroom to the kitchen or to the livingroom... easy with a pedestal and won't have to worry about scarring the tables. To fly-tying nights I bring the C-clamp. Saves both space and weight. At shows I use the pedestal. That makes it easy to let the person on the other side take a closer look... just hand it over.

/Nick

#41 Chris Patterson

Chris Patterson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

I've used both and prefer the pedestal. Started on a master vise clone with a C-clamp and had no significant complaints myself though the wife didn't like me clamping it to the kitchen table laugh.gif .

I just like to be able to pick up my vise and plop it down wherever I want to work and the Peak has never moved on me.

Chris Patterson - @utfisher
><((,^));>

#42 bluegill576

bluegill576

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

pedestal because most of the places that I tie the tables cant hold a clamp and to keep the materials on the table.

#43 hardtimes

hardtimes

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

I am currently using a c clamp, but my next one will have a pedastal. I like the idea of using the pedastal where ever I feel like it.

#44 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

If you use a C clamp vise stem on a pedestal, it will indeed be too high.  What I like about C clamps is you have a lot more range of heights, assuming you have the longer stem made for C clamps.  The adjustment range is nearly infinite. But you need that longer stem or you won't enjoy this.

I had to buy a pedestal-length stem from HMH for my vise.  Now it fits on a pedestal.  IIRC, the pedestal height stem is 6", the C clamp stem is 7 or 8.

What I like about a pedestal is it's compact.  However, the height is not adjustable to any large extent, and set (I guess) for the average fly tier.  If you want to adjust your tying height, you have to adjust your table or desk height.

I like both.  Find myself using the pedestal more often.

#45 Harold Ray

Harold Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

If you want a great, versatile, yet very inexpensive base for your vise, buy this little dude: https://www.feather-...ay&target=SL007 .  I have several vises, at home, at the clinic, in my travel box and have used this for several years.  I love 'em.

Ray Emerson, D.V.M.
Waco, Texas

E-mail: wacovet@yahoo.com

Phone: Office: 254-772-3520, Cell: 254-744-2393