Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What are you "Stillwater or Flowing Water tier"

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Stillwater or Flowing water

Lakes or Rivers

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Firetiger

Firetiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (ChuckingFluff @ Nov 19 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't get bitten by a pike, it's nasty.

I second that lol.gif I was about to release this one, but its ingratitude made it a guest of honor at the dinner table.

About the still vs. moving water: to me still water means stockies and moving water wild fish. It is not hard to make a preference between these two.

Jindra

#17 rich5665

rich5665

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

I like to fish no matter the water type. So I'll attempt to tie for all types of fly fishing.
Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19

#18 rich5665

rich5665

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (day5 @ Nov 19 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love smallies in current! But I love smallies in lakes too. if smallies swam in the fountain in the mall id fish for them there to.

day5 - I thought that was you I saw fly fishing in Cabela's hysterical.gif
Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19

#19 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Firetiger @ Dec 2 2009, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ChuckingFluff @ Nov 19 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't get bitten by a pike, it's nasty.

I second that lol.gif I was about to release this one, but its ingratitude made it a guest of honor at the dinner table.

About the still vs. moving water: to me still water means stockies and moving water wild fish. It is not hard to make a preference between these two.

Jindra

Wicked! Those are some nasty cuts, if I ever go fishing ofr pike I'll be sure to watch out for those teeth bugeyes.gif
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#20 gillfan51

gillfan51

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

Considering that I'm just outside Houston, TX, and most of our rivers anywhere NEAR here are usually 30ft deep and running fast enough to take you into the Gulf in minutes, I stick mainly to stillwater. Love throwing a Red Tag to the monster bream (that's bluegills and the like, for those of you who are geographically/linguistically challenged). hysterical.gif

I also love throwing the dries for gills, but occasionally sink to a popper/dropper combo. More often than not, the bass will go for the popper, and the gills for the dropper; so I cover all my bases. rolleyes.gif
Charlie S.
RM2, USN-Ret.

#21 SCflyguy

SCflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:00 AM

Both for me. I tie mostly stream flies for trout, but mostly only get to fish stillwater for bluegill. Gills could care less if it's a trout fly, they pound the things, so I just practice and test my flies for my occasional trips to trout country.

#22 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

I love smallies in current! But I love smallies in lakes too. if smallies swam in the fountain in the mall id fish for them there to.

the fountain at Harrisburg Mall is stocked with 20" rainbows....

the gales of November remembered...

#23 trout_champ

trout_champ

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

Mainly rvers since that's what I enjoy to fish most. But my flies could be fished either or.

Randy
2 Corinthians 5:7 - For we walk by faith; not by sight

#24 Val Schmaus

Val Schmaus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

rivers and fast flowing streams to tiny native brook trout creeks.

#25 FISHN247IFmYkIDsLeTmE

FISHN247IFmYkIDsLeTmE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

I`d have to say I like rivers and streams mostly cause i like to explore and not see what around the next bend

The River Takes Me THERE

#26 Taylor B. Hess

Taylor B. Hess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

I like tying for flowing water, and I guess the occasional flies for a trip to a local lake. Really, I'll fish wherever the fish are. punk.gif

Tight Lines.
T. Hess (taylorhess4@rocketmail.com)

"Fly-fishers are usually brain-workers in society. Along the banks of purling streams, beneath the shadows of umbrageous trees, or in the secluded nooks of charming lakes, they have ever been found, drinking deep of the invigorating forces of nature - giving rest and tone to over-taxed brains and wearied nerves - while gracefully wielding the supple rod, the invisible leader, and the fairy-like fly."
-by James A. Hensall, MD, 1855-

#27 Taylor B. Hess

Taylor B. Hess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (JSzymczyk @ Dec 15 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the fountain at Harrisburg Mall is stocked with 20" rainbows....

Ah yes...those fishes... shifty.gif
T. Hess (taylorhess4@rocketmail.com)

"Fly-fishers are usually brain-workers in society. Along the banks of purling streams, beneath the shadows of umbrageous trees, or in the secluded nooks of charming lakes, they have ever been found, drinking deep of the invigorating forces of nature - giving rest and tone to over-taxed brains and wearied nerves - while gracefully wielding the supple rod, the invisible leader, and the fairy-like fly."
-by James A. Hensall, MD, 1855-

#28 mojokayak

mojokayak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Both