Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

weight or no weight?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: weight or no weight?

when tying a bunny leech do you tie in weight (lead wire or cone head) or leave it weightless?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

i have a limited amount of rabbit strips left and ive never really used the pattern, so im just trying to get some suggestions on wich would be best for me to tie.
[size=2]

#2 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Yes to both. It wasn't an option. It would really depend on the prey and water conditions.

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#3 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

I tie mine with tungsten beads or cones. But I do know guys that tie them unweighted and use sinking lines to get the flies down.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#4 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

yeah i do some with both wrapped lead and a cone head and some just wrapped lead and some with no weight at all depending on the water i am fishing.
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#5 ChuckingFluff

ChuckingFluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

Both!!! on fast moving waters I use weighted on smaller still waters I use mostly unweighted. It depends where and what your fishing. Walleye on the still waters I use weighted to get it down as deep as possible.
><)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))( >> ><))(>

#6 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

both depending on water conditions

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#7 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

Weighted, and with various amounts of weight, including lead wire, beads & cones.

I never tie them unweighted, but if I saw a need for it, I would.

#8 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

well i fish for bass in still water. i was questioning this because i noticed when fishing with rabbit hide it floats for some time before it sinks. i want this fly to sink just beneath the surface and also "suspend" or sink very slowly when i stop stripping. should i tie it weighted or unweighted? and if weighted lead wire or cone head?
[size=2]

#9 ChuckingFluff

ChuckingFluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

In those conditions I would go unweighted. I usually soak it before I start to fish it then you won't run into the floating issues, even so it usally only takes 30 seconds for it to start holding water.
><)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))( >> ><))(>

#10 Firetiger

Firetiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

I love the way this question was posted, for it reminds me of fashion discussions with my beloved - the kind of "Q: should I get the useless accessory A or useless accessory B for Xmas? A: but darling, of course both! How can you ask that way?" smile.gif

Now since fish can be at times as difficult as women you should be prepared and have both weighted and unweighted version ready. That way you know you are prepared no matter what the situation demands from you biggrin.gif

#11 ashbourn

ashbourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

It is rare I fish unweighted but the amout of weight does matter.
On Rivers
Heavy if I am cast short distances and need to get down deep into pools with a floating line.
Light if I am making long casts with a sinking line were the river depth has more of gradual change.
On Stillwater
I like a lightly weight fly just because I want it to quickly break the surface, not so heavy that sinks much faster then the fly line. But, a heavy fly is great for drop into structure or sudden drop offs. A heavy fly can also work very will with a very quick retrive with the fly almost moving straight up.

In short, make sure you have a mix of both. I would have more light then heavy maybe a 4 to 1 ratio.

Joe Fox
www.detteflies.com
www.spasegreymatter.com

#12 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (Firetiger @ Nov 26 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now since fish can be at times as difficult as women

bs.gif !!!

the gales of November remembered...

#13 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:46 AM

sniksoh, although I really like to use rabbit strip flies a lot for bass. I've tried them unweighted, but prefer a Seaducer streamer for that slow sink, suspending type presentation. I feel that hackle has better suspending properties than rabbit strip, even when the rabbit is unweighted.

#14 Camo Clad Warrior

Camo Clad Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:09 AM

The simple answer IMO is BOTH headbang.gif . I like to have the weighted patterns when the fish are holding deeper. Also, when fishing structure the weighted patterns come in handy. When the fish move shallower the unweighted patterns seem to work the best for me... yahoo.gif

Note: I have only been fishing bass for one season, so I dont have as much experience of some of the others on here.
"Noone who does not know how to catch a fish should be able to disgrace it by catching it."

"Casting is an art that is performed on a 4 count rythm between 4 o'clock and 2 o'clock."

#15 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

depends on the conditions and what the fish are keying on. if I need weight I use Trinas Sculpin Heads from Montana Fly http://www.castersfl...roducts_id=1233
"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com