Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

WHAT DO YOU USE THE MOST?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Poll: What fly do you use the most?

What fly do you use the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 RoyChristie

RoyChristie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:57 PM

For Trout
Cranky cripple emergers & avon specials, Dries EsayPeasyUSD and flat spent spinner and nymphs by Skues and north country spiders and bugs, CDC& Elk and anything big & buggy and tiny midge and dries from a good friend, Hove in South Wales

Grayling
as above but lose the wings on the dry USD, the Grayling come up fast from below and dont need a wing Heavy shrimpstiny dry USD mayflies Iron blue and Large Darks & BWO Big dries and emergers even - like #12

Stingers and wets & muddlers for seatrout

and for Salmon - shrimps collies and hairwings and CDC spey flies and even a few featherwings and hairy prawns
Is that it
I'll go & have a look

#17 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:31 AM

I actually fish wets ( soft hackles) 90% of the time.
Anybody know what category they fit in?

#18 JarrodRuggles

JarrodRuggles

Banned from fishing in 48 states~!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:25 AM

Go ahead and put it with nymphs......sory forgot the soft hacle category.

banned from fishing the other 2 states...

#19 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:29 AM

I do anything that is my own. I usualy take the first day of a fishing trip to turn oevr rocks and collect sample, of which I tie 20 patterns in an attempt to imitate them, and then I go fish the next day and come back home empty handed (new to fly fishing, and I cannot keep the same fly on my line for longer than 5 min, always have to try something new laugh.gif )

#20 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:53 AM

Freshwater - Terrestrials
Saltwater - Hairwing baitfish patterns
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#21 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:09 PM

With the trout in Vermont and being it was the first fly I learned to tie with any accuracy I love the Adams size 12-14.

I can use it many ways and still catch fish.

Fatman
Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman

#22 NMflyguy

NMflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:29 PM

Hmm, I use dries alot when i get to the streams around here. most notably size 10-16 stimulators in the standard color is my favorite. but i use lots of different dries depending on my mood. lol

J

#23 Uncle Buck

Uncle Buck

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:34 PM

I almost always find myself going back to an olive soft hackle sz 16-20. Sometimes I will drop a midge off of it as well.

Buck

#24 jlearsi67

jlearsi67

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:48 PM

Whatever's working - and that's usually CLOUSERS!!!!!!!!

#25 Black Ghost

Black Ghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:31 PM

Nymphs 80% of the time for trout, salmon, steelhead

Other 20% would be egg flys, speys, and streamers.

BG

#26 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:11 PM

I fish a brown hackle peacock a great deal of the time. Also I use its cousin, grey hackle peacock. These are my favorites but am experimenting with some home-made patterns. Will let you know what I come up with here. The renegade was featured in a flyfishing magazine a few years ago (not going through about 100 magazines) and they showed the fly tied with, starting at the bend- hackle, black chenille, hackle, chenille of a different/contrasing color, and hackle. The hackle I use is brown and the front color I have used is pink, yellow, or olive. Hook size can be anything; I use size 6 to 10. Dry fly- Adams without the wings; just tail, dubbed body, three wraps of hackle.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#27 GlobalFisher

GlobalFisher

Theres somethin' women like about a pick-up man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:56 PM

I am more of a nymph guy then anything. I use nymphs about 70% of the time and use dries the other 30% unless I am salmon/steelhead fishing.

#28 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

I fish streamers mainly. I develop my own patterns and am always tewaking them to show the fish something new.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#29 lewy271

lewy271

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

I'm assuming Deerhair poppers are terrestrials. I will fish them all day long and am productive most of the time with them. This year I'm actually forcing myself to fish subsurface flies...Actually, last weekend was the first time I've ever caught a fish on a clouser! It was fun! Still my vote which I screw up voting null to see the choices is for "POPPERS"

#30 Michigan Trout Guy

Michigan Trout Guy

Young man there's no need to feel down, I said young man, so your new in this town, I said young man...It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

I almost always swing nymphs. This is my first season ever fly fishing, so for me quantity is the ticket.
Today a man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, and that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively. Life is only a dream with the imagination of ourselves...........here's Tom with the weather.

-Bill Hicks (Thanks whippersnapper ;)