Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

WHAT DO YOU USE THE MOST?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Poll: What fly do you use the most?

What fly do you use the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 shenandoahangler

shenandoahangler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

It depends on what fish I'm fishing for. But mostly I fish wet flies.

#32 Mato Kuwapi

Mato Kuwapi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

I fish moslty nymphs, then it's streamers...then a dry fly here and there...probably less than 10 % of my time on the water.

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

#33 FlyFisher09

FlyFisher09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

I fish a lot of terrestrials for bluegill (they are variations of my patterns and beetle patterns).

#34 CharlieD

CharlieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:00 PM

Dry flies for trout. If its Steelhead or Atlantic Salmon I'm after I will use a spey or a hair wing salmon or steelhead wet fly. I have gotten steelhead on dry flies but in the great lakes the conditions have to be just right to do that.

Charlie
Release-em-Alive!

#35 Red Nose Dace

Red Nose Dace

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

The Orange (or Yellow) Stimulator (tied Randall Kaufmann style) is without a doubt my favorite fly. It is great for prospecting and although primarily tied as a dry fly, it can be fished wet as well. Further, it can be viewed either as an imitative pattern or an attractor - I suspect it looks like a great mouthful to many fish, as they all seem to smack it with reckless abandon. Finally, it's just plain fun to tie, and to me it lokks d@#n pretty!

#36 softhackle

softhackle

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

When I'm prospecting on small streams my "go-to" dry fly is the CDC/elk. But my favorite fly to fish is a gold ribbed hare's ear/antron and partridge soft hackle. I love swinging them down to rising trout during an evening caddis emergence. Easy to tie, look great, a real classic.

#37 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

Jarrod,

Dude, you got to change that Avitar.

Every time I see it, I think I'm looking in the bathroom mirror.

Man you arn't the same Jarrod from the subway commercials, are you? I didn't think so.

PS: I use caddis flies on topwater (small for trout to very large for bass)

Beadheads, usually green weenies, again small for trout to very large (usually add some colaring or wings) for bass.

Conehead
but, rounded gut
7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#38 Sjo Crapels

Sjo Crapels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:50 PM

90% nymphing, 2% dries and 8% streamers
Sjo
let the fly be with you...................

#39 SwampHunter

SwampHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:24 PM

Sow Bugs, Wolly Buggers, and Pheasent Tails for the most part. Caught alot of fish on these three including trout, bass, and bream.
These are my three favorites as well.

#40 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

Mostly dries cause I seem to have the most luck with them and I like to see the fish take them.
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#41 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

I would say I use Wooly bugger type patterns more than any fly for salmon and trout. Wooly buggers, Bead head wooly buggers and ESL's which are just woolybugger variations catch me a lot of fish. Egg patterns would be second for me.

I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#42 Riverfloat

Riverfloat

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Now I'm fishing mostly nights for trout ,so a wolly bugger type w/o the palmered hackle.In either black ,olive or black w blue collar all have peacock herl body.Fish most of time w/ two at a time.

#43 HaHa

HaHa

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

Not the bugger but the woolly worm - I've caught as many trout on this pattern as all the rest combined.

#44 James Daly

James Daly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:22 AM

Can I just answer yes to the poll? You asked what you use most, my answer is yes depending on situation, scenario and mood. So yes I do.
And Jesus said unto them, "Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men". The Book of St. Mark -1:17
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is a pleasure in angling that no one knows but the Angler himself" -William Blacker
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Right about the time fly fishing begins to take over your life, it becomes a search for quality". -John Gierach

#45 gadabout

gadabout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

Your list is unfair to wet fly users! ive_been_ripped.gif