Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Clouser Darter

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cyprinid Carpio

Cyprinid Carpio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

A new addition to the fly pattern database has been submitted by Cyprinid Carpio:

Clouser Darter

#2 JP66

JP66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:21 AM

Very nice. I'm sure the carp/smallies will love it.

#3 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

great fly and it will no doubt produce. One observation- the "darter" style tied by the Clousers around here are fuller and fatter, intentionally different than the slim/sparse "deep minnow" style.

I tie them both ways, and all different ways in between, and they all work.

Does anyone know

Where the Love of God goes

When the waves

Turn the minutes to hours?

#4 Cyprinid Carpio

Cyprinid Carpio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (JSzymczyk @ Dec 30 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great fly and it will no doubt produce. One observation- the "darter" style tied by the Clousers around here are fuller and fatter, intentionally different than the slim/sparse "deep minnow" style.

One thing about any of the Clouser-style flies tied by people other than Bob Clouser is that most of them are tied way too full, even the darters. Too much calf tail, from what I see in the water, just clumps up and really has no movement. I like the slimmer, sparser style, especially since I usually fish smaller, clearer streams where a smaller profile is more effective. Of course in stained, deeper water, the fuller style will push more water and will probably produce better.

#5 Cyprinid Carpio

Cyprinid Carpio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (JP66 @ Dec 30 2009, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With my luck, I'm more likely to absolutely slay the longears and rock bass with these dry.gif

#6 Blackriverbowyer

Blackriverbowyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Cyprinid Carpio @ Dec 30 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With my luck, I'm more likely to absolutely slay the longears and rock bass with these dry.gif

if you want good luck stay away from northeast ohio lol steelhead know your commin
Life is too short to play or hear freebird

#7 Cyprinid Carpio

Cyprinid Carpio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Blackriverbowyer @ Dec 30 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Cyprinid Carpio @ Dec 30 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you want good luck stay away from northeast ohio lol steelhead know your commin

They FEAR me devil.gif

#8 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Cyprinid Carpio @ Dec 30 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing about any of the Clouser-style flies tied by people other than Bob Clouser is that most of them are tied way too full, even the darters. Too much calf tail, from what I see in the water, just clumps up and really has no movement. I like the slimmer, sparser style, especially since I usually fish smaller, clearer streams where a smaller profile is more effective. Of course in stained, deeper water, the fuller style will push more water and will probably produce better.

right, they all work. By my comment, I meant that Bob Clouser and Bob C. Jr. live a couple miles from me and the patterns were developed literally within sight of where I am sitting. All I was saying is that the "Darter" style is dressed by them fuller than the "deep minnow" style, intentionally. Yeah, I'm happy to be here, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with your interpretation of the style. Looks as if it will fish very well. As dressed by The Man himself, and as described in "Clouser's Flies" the Darter style has an extra clump of calf tail tied in under the lead eyes, which sets the style apart from the deep minnow.

(BTW, there is nothing wrong with Longears and Rock Bass!! smile.gif )

Does anyone know

When the waves

#9 Cyprinid Carpio

Cyprinid Carpio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (JSzymczyk @ Dec 31 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Cyprinid Carpio @ Dec 30 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right, they all work. By my comment, I meant that Bob Clouser and Bob C. Jr. live a couple miles from me and the patterns were developed literally within sight of where I am sitting. All I was saying is that the "Darter" style is dressed by them fuller than the "deep minnow" style, intentionally. Yeah, I'm happy to be here, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with your interpretation of the style. Looks as if it will fish very well. As dressed by The Man himself, and as described in "Clouser's Flies" the Darter style has an extra clump of calf tail tied in under the lead eyes, which sets the style apart from the deep minnow.

(BTW, there is nothing wrong with Longears and Rock Bass!! smile.gif )

So there's calf along the shank/tail, one on top of the shank in front of the eyes and one under the shank in front of the eyes? That's a lot of baby cows with no tail laugh.gif

#10 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Clouser's book, and one of my "darter" flies. Just an example, not right, not wrong. Maybe a little too long. Notice how the reference fly in the book, tied by Clouser himself, is tied very full compared to the "deep minnow" style.

Attached File  IMG_0401.JPG   406.58KB   21 downloads

Does anyone know

When the waves

#11 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

I just got that book a couple weeks ago and haven't yet tied from it. Never tied any of the Clouser flies, but as I was reading through it the Darters sure caught my eye as a fine base pattern for steelhead around here. We don't have any "darters" in the waters here but that profile and size with some creative color is going to catch some steel. Plus I love tying with calf tail.

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#12 Cyprinid Carpio

Cyprinid Carpio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

I actually looked at the book at the fly shop and I admit, I was wrong! Apparently the recipe I had was wrong. Since when can you not trust the internet??? rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (JSzymczyk @ Jan 7 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clouser's book, and one of my "darter" flies. Just an example, not right, not wrong. Maybe a little too long. Notice how the reference fly in the book, tied by Clouser himself, is tied very full compared to the "deep minnow" style.

Attached File  IMG_0401.JPG   406.58KB   21 downloads