Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wild Turkey Feathers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ksacane

ksacane

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:36 PM

Well, I shot a Rio Grande gobbler last spring, and I saved the skin. I know I can use the secondary wing feathers for a lot of things, and I'm mounting the tail. What other feathers have any of you used for tying?

Thanks

#2 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

The tail feathers are used for winging on wet flies, and salmon flies. Tail feathers can also be used just like pheasant tails for nymphs. The back and breast feathers make excellent wing cases on nymphs. The marabou (under shafts) are also used in nymphs, streamers and leaches. Lot of uses for lots of turkey feathers. I use the primary wing feathers for biots. The smaller tail feathers make excellent herl bodies.
"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#3 Ridleyffo

Ridleyffo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

REally none of those feathers are good for tying. You should send them all to me. I will pm you an address. I like to make my thursday night tutus from them!

I fish therefore I am.

#4 halcyon

halcyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

The smaller tail feathers also make excellent Spey hackle (an example of this can be found here www.beaucatcher.com/Tying_Projects.html). The bronze body feathers are articularly lovely collar hackle feathers for streamers, and steelhead flies. There isn't a feather on any of the wild turkey species that can't be used for tying flies.
I have so often met ardent anglers throwing flies of such wondrous deformity,... (Lt.-Col. John Henry Hale, 1863 - 1950)

#5 flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

Every single feather on that bird is good for tying something one some certain fly. Got it? I have rarely ever possessed a feather that I couldn't find a tying purpose for. I mean there are some feathers that just won't cut it grade wise but in general you have tying material from that bird that should last you quite a long long time. As stated before, don't display the tail feathers, use em! If you want to display something about the turkey, mount the spurs and the beard. I have had a couple of really cool hat bands made that use the beard and accented with the spurs. Just my 2 cent's
Acts 4:19,20 :But Peter and John replied, "Do you think God wants us to obey you rather than him? We cannot stop telling about everything we have seen and heard."

#6 ksacane

ksacane

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. I thought that most of the feathers could be used, but I didn't have any patterns that used anything other than the secondary wing feathers. This help a lot.