Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What brand of tying thread do you use?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Poll: What brand of tying thread do you use?

What is your standard brand of thread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Nowadays I use mainly Bennechi. I like it because it's thin, not very elastic and it's strong.

Benecchi is my standard thread but when I need a very thin thread I use UNI trico 17/0 and whenever very strong thread is required I use Roman Mosers power silk. I like the trico because it's inexpensive and, well, thin tongue.gif The power silk is a little pricy but it's not really that much money compared to the costs of the hook. At least it is strong as hell.
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#2 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Danville. I've tried Uni, Bennechi, Pearsalls, and some others, but never saw the need to change from Danville. I started with Danville, many, many years ago, and I rarely tie anything smaller than a size 14, and even then I don't tie small flies all that often, so just don't need the finer threads these other companies offer. Danville products have worked fine for me all these years, so I see no need to switch.

#3 Wellman

Wellman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

I use Uni mostly and Danville 0/3 monocord for tying. I like the Uni 0/8 and 0/6 for everything I tie, and the Monocord I use for spinning deer hair and for some small trout flies.

You might want to add UTC thread as that one of the major thread companys.

#4 Denis Lamy

Denis Lamy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Mostly UNI, but I use others when UNI does not have the colour or the size I need for a pattern.
Au plaisir de vous lire,

Denis Lamy
Trois-Rivières, Qué.
CANADA

#5 Arkansas Mike

Arkansas Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

UTC, 90% of the time. And Danville 6/0.

Mike

#6 deeky

deeky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

I'm probably a toss between Danville and Uni. I voted Danville just because I think it's probably a little more versatile in that I can either twist or flatten it. But the Uni comes out just about as much.

Deeky

#7 David Legg

David Legg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

I spend more time with Uni on the bobbin than any other, but I use several brands. I have quite a bit of Danville and UTC. I have a few older ones too.
The great thing about catch & release is that the fish can live to grow even larger.
In fact, I've known some fish to grow quite a bit larger before the fisherman even returned home

#8 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

I voted other because UTC is not listed and that is my primary thread. But .. I also have UNI, Pearsalls, Gudebrod, Coats & Clark and a few others. I tie a bunch of Zebra midges and really like the UTC for them.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#9 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for reminding me of UTC. Myself I have never had any contact with that brand so I forgot to add it as a choice in the poll.
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#10 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

In order of use - Uni, Danville, UTC

Uni mostly in 8/0

#11 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

Danville's Flymaster and some UTC. I don't like Uni because it won't flatten. Lagartun is nice but @ $4.50 per roll it isn't that nice.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#12 carlp5351

carlp5351

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

I voted other because I use almost all of them. Each has there own different properties and I use them in different situations. I do not use just one certain brand of thread.

carlp

#13 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

most often Danville 6/0 waxed, Danville 3/0 monocord for some larger things such as saltwater flies and foam bugs and giant woolly buggers, and of course GSP for spinning deer hair but I forget what company's sticker is on it. I've tried Uni threads but just don't prefer them over Danville. Uni does offer some colors (Purple) that Danville does not.

the gales of November remembered...

#14 Wellman

Wellman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (JSzymczyk @ Jan 31 2010, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
of course GSP for spinning deer hair but I forget what company's sticker is on it.

UTC

#15 FishAholic85

FishAholic85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Danville is what I prefer to use.
But I also use:
- UNI
- UTC
- Bennechi
- GSP either from UTC or my fishing rod. rolleyes.gif
- Mono in various tests.

Pretty much what ever is available.
- "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!" - Anon.

- "I knew my tippet was too big when the willow tree I'd hooked on my back cast came flying over my head." - Jimmy D Moor