Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What brand of tying thread do you use?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Poll: What brand of tying thread do you use?

What is your standard brand of thread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 SilverArdea

SilverArdea

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

Uni 6/0 and 8/0 for fishing flies .. Lagartun 74d (x-strong) for the pretty flies. Like TroutBum said, it's $5 a spool, but it lays flatter than a pancake and behaves incredibly well. Just not for use on flies that might end up wedged in a log or rock. wink.gif
I'd rather be out chasing steelhead.

#17 tyrite

tyrite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

I us mostly UNI thread and all the other UNI products!!

thanks tyrite
Dubbing, Hair & Feathers Tying Flies Is What I Do The Best!
By Glen Dayton........ 36 somerset st, Trenton Ontario Canada
Email @ tyrite01@yahoo.ca phone 1-613-970-3385
www.tyritecustomflyshop.webs.com/

#18 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

I use mostly Danville Flymaster and Flat Waxed Nylon.

#19 Fly Tyer Guy

Fly Tyer Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

I've used UNI, Danville, and UTC, by far my favorite is UTC, it is now almost exclusively what I use.

Visit my website, My Webpage, A work in progress

Dustin Driscoll

#20 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

Danville 6/0 waxed mainly or Flymaster+ as I tie mostly panfish flies and it's a good all around thread, strong and very reasonable priced.

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#21 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Danville and UNI are my main threads. I like Danville much better than UNI, but UNI's smaller sizes have me hooked. I like Danville so much because of many things, its flat, its waxed, and it has thread holder slit thingy rolleyes.gif

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#22 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ Feb 1 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Danville and UNI are my main threads. I like Danville much better than UNI, but UNI's smaller sizes have me hooked. I like Danville so much because of many things, its flat, its waxed, and it has thread holder slit thingy rolleyes.gif

A what now?
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#23 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

Danville's thread spools (and some other brands) have a slit on the top of the spool to hold the loose end of the thread when its not on a bobbin.
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

#24 Firetiger

Firetiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

UNI 8/0 for dry flies and 6/0 for wets; kevlar for pike flies and Trico for the itsy bitsy work. So far UNI has never let me down, so I stick by them.

#25 TitanFlies

TitanFlies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ Feb 1 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Danville's thread spools (and some other brands) have a slit on the top of the spool to hold the loose end of the thread when its not on a bobbin.

So does UNI thread spools...
Anyways, I loathe UNI thread cause it makes a terrible noise in the bobbin and it's a bit too course for my liking... I use UTC 70 and 140, and sometimes a Gudebrod 45 denier for dries or smaller nymphs.

For spinning deer hair the only thing I'll ever use is GSP thread, simply the best!
"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." -Frank Cobb

#26 Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

Mainly Lagartun now just tying flies for self.

But danville is my go to when I'm tying for production stuff for sale or donations where I'm tying a lot of flies.

Don't like uni threads they don't go flat enough for me!

Jeremy
Take a kid fishing
John 3:16
Realistic Flies, are all flies not made for fishing??
"To create history one should be a great general,an inventor,or an explorer,but to those of us who are not so fortunate as to be creators is permitted the more humble mission of recording what is accomplished by others"
Mary Orvis Marbury

#27 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (TitanFlies @ Feb 1 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ Feb 1 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So does UNI thread spools...
Anyways, I loathe UNI thread cause it makes a terrible noise in the bobbin and it's a bit too course for my liking... I use UTC 70 and 140, and sometimes a Gudebrod 45 denier for dries or smaller nymphs.

For spinning deer hair the only thing I'll ever use is GSP thread, simply the best!

No, some UNI types have this slit, not all of them. It just so happens that the main type I use (8/0) does not have this slit, which is a pity.

edit: I checked my spools and found that nearly all of my 8/0 threads are devoid of this slit. Interesting enough, the Olive 8/0 does have this slit, though it is the only one among them that does, I am quite sure.
~Archimedes

-Angus Menuge

#28 Crackleback

Crackleback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

If it doesn't have a thread slit use a razor blade and make your own. I used to use mostly UNI but Griffith's is usually in my bobbin these days for trout stuff. For warmwater flies it's usually Danville's and GSP for deer hair work.

Mike

#29 redquill

redquill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

Ivote for other as I use different threads. 8/0 and larger, I use UNI. 14/0 sheer thread and UNI Trico tread are what I use the most.
I also, have some Danville threads but rarely use them.

#30 scott.bearden

scott.bearden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

I was introduced to Gudebrod just before they killed their fly tying thread, but I had been unknowingly using it for a long time under Orvis' brand name thread. I would kill for Gudebrod thread today. The next closest thing is Orvis brand name but their colors are incomplete. The next closest after that is the Hook and Hackle house brand thread. Other than that I like UTC because I can really flatten it out.