Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What brand of tying thread do you use?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Poll: What brand of tying thread do you use?

What is your standard brand of thread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 camoham

camoham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

danville flat waxed 6/0

a lot of different colors available. good price.

camoham
“You didn’t find a padlock on my door (maybe I should have put one on) for I feel that a cabin in the wilderness should be open to those who need shelter. My charge for the use of it is reasonable, I think, although some no doubt will be unable to afford what I ask, and that is- take care of it as if you had carved it out with hand tools as I did. If when you leave your conscience is clear, then you have paid the full amount.”

#32 TitanFlies

TitanFlies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (scott.bearden @ Feb 2 2010, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was introduced to Gudebrod just before they killed their fly tying thread, but I had been unknowingly using it for a long time under Orvis' brand name thread. I would kill for Gudebrod thread today. The next closest thing is Orvis brand name but their colors are incomplete. The next closest after that is the Hook and Hackle house brand thread. Other than that I like UTC because I can really flatten it out.

Actually, I had it explained to me that Gudebrod still makes threads, just none that are labeled for "fly-tying". If you contact Chris Helm and his shop, he'll order a 5000 m. spool of the thread of your choice and respool it for you! (Awesome ain't it?) I use the 45 denier Gudebrod and it's slowly becoming my everyday thread - I love it so much! Dennis Potter is also a big advocate of Gudebrod, so I do like the Romans and try to get my hands on as much of it as I can!
"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." -Frank Cobb

#33 scott.bearden

scott.bearden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:40 AM

I downloaded Chris Helm's catalog and the thread chart he has in there is the best I have seen so far. It isn't all new information, but he put it together from other sources and broke it down to point out exactly what I wanted to know and illuminated why I like certain threads. The Hook and Hackle thread is made by Euro Thread and the 12/0 is nearly identical to Gudebrod's 10/0. I will be ordering some of the Gudebrod that Chris has because I love that stuff so much. Unfortunately he has the same problem that Orvis has, and that is limited color selection in the 10/0 that I like so much.

#34 ChuckingFluff

ChuckingFluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

Danville, uni, utc and Bennechi depends what I'm tying. I have a couple of spools of Lagartun but haven't used it yet.
><)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))(º >> ><))(º>

#35 Worstcaster

Worstcaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

I don't have a brand loyalty for thread. I buy whatever the fly shop I am in carries, if it is the color I am looking for.

#36 nebc

nebc

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

I tend to use Danville threads however I bought a varied supply and for some kinds of tying I switch to Benecchi. Some colors that were not available in these I bought UNI which seemed to have the best selection.

#37 eugward

eugward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

I have been using danville thread since I started tying. I do have some utc but do not like it. The thread is okay but the bobin is to slippery for me. I do have some uni floss. headbang.gif
I do what the voices in my fly bag tell me to do

#38 RoyChristie

RoyChristie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hi, Gustav,
I use almost exclusively Pearsall's, almost always waxed

reason,
predictable in colour

See you in Sweden,
Roy

#39 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:57 AM

Danville and UNI are the most popular it seems, as I expected them to be.

Roy; I'm sorry to say I probably can't visit the sportfishingfair this year, too far up north I'm afraid. But who knows, maybe I have a lucky stroke.
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#40 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

I haven't been able to try or use anything else but UNI because it is all they stock in stores here.
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#41 c-denby

c-denby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

I use mainly UNI because it is what both my local shops carry. If I am tying something for show, then i'll sometimes use other brands when I want better quality or just a certain look.

Currently trying to find a quality Silk that is not so expensive.. Most are about $5ish for like 8Meters so I have been trying to find some quality silk from sewing shops but have yet to find anything useable.

Anyone have any ideas?

#42 scott.bearden

scott.bearden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

c-denby,

I don't know what brands of silk you tried. I can't think of any that are just 8 meters. That seems awfully short. Personally I use YLI #100 or Pearsal's Gossamer silk for wrapping my bamboo rods. Pearsal's is the finest I know of and has very few if any fuzzies. YLI is about 200 meters, I think Pearsal's is only 50. Both are ballpark $5, but you won't find them any cheaper. Sewing shops ***might*** carry YLI. Look for quilting shops. I just buy mine off the internet and pay the shipping.

Scott

#43 c-denby

c-denby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

Sorry I ended up looking at my spools and realized that what I meant was silk floss.. Sorry.. Yes most silk threads are about 50m but silk floss usually comes in 8m spools.. not sure why floss spools are so much smaller than thread spools..

sorry about the misinformation.

#44 Chalk_Stream

Chalk_Stream

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

Gudebrod 10/0 in white. I bought a lifetimes worth when they were discontinued and discounted.

#45 Dart

Dart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

I primarily use UTC 70. I bought one of the "1 spool of every color" packages from JStockard right after I started tying. I like how it lays flat. I also have a couple spools of the Lagartun 50D XX-Strong thread. Good stuff for the times where you really have to crank down on the materials, but it's slick.