Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What brand of tying thread do you use?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

Poll: What brand of tying thread do you use?

What is your standard brand of thread?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#106 novabass

novabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

I use various threads. I like UTC 140 for big streamers. Mike Schmidt got me hooked on it. It has nice stretch and is strong.

I use Danville 3/0 monocord for many uses. I use it on larger dry flies. It is a strong thread. You can use it on big streamers too. It doesn't have the stretch that 140 has, but I still like it.

I like UNI 6/0 and 8/0 for smaller dry flies and small flies in general. Great general purpose thread for trout flies.

I have also tried Veevus for trout type flies. It is very strong for as thin as it is.

Just my 2 cents.

FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!

HMH Vises - Social Media Admin/Pro Team Manager

#107 Evans1

Evans1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

Danville fly master waxed for price and large color choice

#108 Alpine4x4

Alpine4x4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Veevus.  Their 16/0 is super strong.  I tie with mostly 10/0-16/0 to help keep my head size down.  

I have some danville and didnt like it.  I also have some ultra thread which is not bad in the 6/0 size. I prefer Veevus though.

#109 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have a feeling the 'other' category will get popular with those who have yet to vote because Veevus isn't listed.

I've heard Bennechi might be getting scarce so thank goodness Veevus is around to save the day!

#110 Davidpensfan87

Davidpensfan87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

I've heavily used uni in the past, but am slowly switching to veevus. I like how there are six different sizes instead of 2 or 3.