Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlySlinger

Humpy Dumpy #2

Hi Guys this is my attempt to have you Forgive me for Blowing the last Topic I am sure this is right....But if you Start from the one Humpy The Blue Bus in the last Topic...And go threw these photo's you will see a slight learning Curve...

I am Going To Attempt the Tying the Humpy, That has the rubber legs next....I have Some Friends That are asking that... I would do it now, But my Vice is in repair right now....We are over hauling it now....The base is in repair....

I Hope you I Have made amends for messing up the last topic...

Oh By the way this a very difficult Pattern....and I didn't Use all of Charlie Cravins Pattern....

Talk to You Guys any time

FlySlinger

Royal Humpy

DSCF4883.jpg

DSCF4884-1.jpg

DSCF4881.jpg

The Blondie, my Favorite

DSCF5036-1.jpg

DSCF5010-1-1.jpg

DSCF5019-Copy.jpg

I don't fish or tie humpies so I am on a bit thin ice, but your tying (and photo!) skills are impressive.

I like the red one the most - it is a fly that knows how to make a statement :flex: The blondie has a lot of appeal as well. Its hackle and wing seem a bit longish for the hook size, but maybe that is just me. The blue one is the strange one out, you don't see many blue flies around. Interesting!

Cheers!

Jindra

theres no hackle in front of the wing

way too much thread for the head

proportions are a bit off

they look great! flytire is right put some hackle infront of the head and a little less thread for the head! But a great start nonetheless!

they look great! flytire is right put some hackle infront of the head and a little less thread for the head! But a great start nonetheless!

Hi Fellows how are you Doing Today....I just wanted to answer a Question that has been put to me Several Times to Day....As to Why I didn't put hackle in Front of my Humpy's.....There is Hackle in front of the Wings....There is 3 to 4 Wraps on Every Fly in Front of the wing thats Double for Two Feathers for each one thats 6 to 8 wraps.....I Do Use a packing tool to push the Wraps up against the Wing.....that will give me Room to Tie the hackle Down and Be able to Clear all the area in Front of the tie in point and Cover the space for the head.....You can not Have stubs and stray hackle in the Head that is an Extreme NO, NO ....And this is very hard to maintain....You will be Using a magnifier to do this with...and you will have a big headache afterward......I Hope I Answered you Guys Question.....as Far as the head goes Charlie Cravin Use a thick Heads with his flies to Cover up Stray Hackle and other Debree to make his flies as perfect as they are....

Thank You

FlySlinger

I can see the hackle in front of the wing but my biggest concern is that the wing balance is so far forward in the hackle that the fly will tip over on it's face on the water with a leader connected. In the past I've tied several thousands of these as a commercial tyer and you only need a thread head as wide as the hook eye width to cover up all of the uglies.

They make little metal discs with a hole in the middle where you can slip it right over the eye, push the barbs back and enable you to tie a nice little thread head. An uneccessary tool but it helps!

They make little metal discs with a hole in the middle where you can slip it right over the eye, push the barbs back and enable you to tie a nice little thread head. An uneccessary tool but it helps!

Blake this is For you......I Have been Tying Dry Flys For 20 Years....For some one who supposedly Has some Commericail Experence at Fly tying....Thinks that this Bug will fall over on its face....Really turns me off.....This Guy dosn't realize that he is seeing a Bug ....like a beatle it is Built like a Beatle it is Squat and it is Rear end heavy....its not built like a Dainty little Dry fly thats going to fall over on its face....By a FEW STRANDS OF THREAD....

Now I like the Idea of your shield to guard against Getting Hackle in the Head.....But have you tried useing Ultra Thread Yet....Well it frays and it Tears and it turns into a mess....If you use that Shield or guard and it has any sharp Edges in it or on it. you will have a nightmare...I'll Tell you how sensitive that Ultra thread is....You can sand all you fingers thoroughly and Put finger Balm all over you fingers, I Have very some very smooth hands and fingers to begin with.....and you will still snag the Ultra thread....So Blake I am a little Leary about Using those gaurds .....Unless you can find a high quality model....That has all the edges well Polished...

Blake if you or anybody else has any other questions Feel to ask......

FlySlinger

Look, I and others are just trying to give you some pointers to make the fly better. Your skills are evident on the fly, it is very nicely proportioned and tied. The humpy is not an easy fly to tie.

That being said, I've been tying flies for 45 years and have sold well over 20,000 dozen not counting the flies I tie to fish with and I've fished 80 to 100 days a year for almost 20 years. I've tied Humpies from size 2 for steelhead down to size 24. I've been around the block a few times. So before you criticize someone who is trying to help you should know a bit about them.

Before you come unglued, do this, drop the fly from about a foot off of a table and see how it lands. As you know with 20 years experience tying dry flies, any dry fly with hackle and a wing should stand on the hackle mass and tail with the wing upright. With the humpy, that large body behind it doesn't help when the pivot point of the hackle is about 1/4 or more of the way down the hook shank from the eye. Been there done that. I fish this fly a lot.

I've seen Charlie Cravens humpies, as well as Jack Dennis, and inumerable others both famous and unknown. The wing on theirs is positioned close to the middle of the hackle to keep the balance of the fly.

Look, I and others are just trying to give you some pointers to make the fly better. Your skills are evident on the fly, it is very nicely proportioned and tied. The humpy is not an easy fly to tie.

That being said, I've been tying flies for 45 years and have sold well over 20,000 dozen not counting the flies I tie to fish with and I've fished 80 to 100 days a year for almost 20 years. I've tied Humpies from size 2 for steelhead down to size 24. I've been around the block a few times. So before you criticize someone who is trying to help you should know a bit about them.

Before you come unglued, do this, drop the fly from about a foot off of a table and see how it lands. As you know with 20 years experience tying dry flies, any dry fly with hackle and a wing should stand on the hackle mass and tail with the wing upright. With the humpy, that large body behind it doesn't help when the pivot point of the hackle is about 1/4 or more of the way down the hook shank from the eye. Been there done that. I fish this fly a lot.

I've seen Charlie Cravens humpies, as well as Jack Dennis, and inumerable others both famous and unknown. The wing on theirs is positioned close to the middle of the hackle to keep the balance of the fly.

Hi buggybob....This is FlySlinger Sorry I thought that you were were just being creaticale of My Style...I have had enough of that on this Fly.....AnyWay I tried you theory out as soon as I woke up..... Here is what i found out.....The Blue Bus Humpy and the Blondie Humpy I Had no trouble with.....Now with the Royal Humpy I am having trouble with it....I think I over Did it with the Calf Body Hair wing....Yes I think i went a little Crazy with the Calf Body Hair....I will have to thin it down.....Thanks Buggybob I do appreciate your advice.....Yes That is making it a little front heavy

Thanks and I am Sorry

FlySlinger

Blake this is For you......I Have been Tying Dry Flys For 20 Years....For some one who supposedly Has some Commericail Experence at Fly tying....Thinks that this Bug will fall over on its face....Really turns me off.....This Guy dosn't realize that he is seeing a Bug ....like a beatle it is Built like a Beatle it is Squat and it is Rear end heavy....its not built like a Dainty little Dry fly thats going to fall over on its face....By a FEW STRANDS OF THREAD....

Now I like the Idea of your shield to guard against Getting Hackle in the Head.....But have you tried useing Ultra Thread Yet....Well it frays and it Tears and it turns into a mess....If you use that Shield or guard and it has any sharp Edges in it or on it. you will have a nightmare...I'll Tell you how sensitive that Ultra thread is....You can sand all you fingers thoroughly and Put finger Balm all over you fingers, I Have very some very smooth hands and fingers to begin with.....and you will still snag the Ultra thread....So Blake I am a little Leary about Using those gaurds .....Unless you can find a high quality model....That has all the edges well Polished...

Blake if you or anybody else has any other questions Feel to ask......

FlySlinger

With all do respect, I don't care if you've been tying for 20 mintues or 20 years, you can always learn something new from someone new, myself included. I'll leave it at that.