Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Rotary Vise poll

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

Poll: Rotary or not?

Rotary Vise ot not?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

Just wondering what everybody uses......Sorry this is my first poll so if it's weird sorry. thanks

-Mark
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#2 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Post what you use as well as answer the question.
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#3 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

I use an Anvil Apex rotary vise. Ahhh wub.gif
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#4 FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

I use a Nor Vise. I learned on Thompson clones and tried a bunch of the usual suspects before settling on the Nor Vise.

#5 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

Griffin odyysey spider here.
shane

#6 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

To clear things up (the way I've understood it):

If a vise like the DK Barracuda is a true rotaty, then the DK supreme is a rotary.

If the DK Barracuda is a rotary, then the DK supreme is a non rotary.

It's all a comparison I guess. What differs is how the rotation of a hook-shank in the jaws are like compared to the vise. If it really rotates perfectly along it's own axis, then it is a true rotary. That's often not necessary though.

I tie on an Anvil Atlas and a Marryat MP-vise, both adjustable to true rotary function.
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#7 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:48 AM

ROTARY refers to the ability of the vise to rotate the fly along the hook shank axis, while keeping the hook shank axis fixed. Usually that is level, or parallel to the tying surface. Not real easy to explain, but you know it when you see it. Most vises that have a sort of "V" shape to them and a handle on the opposite end from the jaws are "rotary".

NO you don't need a rotary to tie perfectly good flies. YES a rotary makes many aspect of tying more efficient, and also enables a tier to examine any part of the fly while being tied, without mirrors or yoga classes.

IF one finds oneself with a dominant arm nearly useless from injury, a rotary makes it MUCH easier to keep tying even though the flies might look like they did thirty years ago...

the gales of November remembered...

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,143 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE (JSzymczyk @ Apr 1 2010, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ROTARY refers to the ability of the vise to rotate the fly along the hook shank axis, while keeping the hook shank axis fixed.

wouldnt that be "TRUE ROTARY"?

examples

renzetti traveler = TRUE ROTARY
http://www.renzetti....c...=313&page=1

renzetti apprentise = ROTARY
http://www.renzetti....ome.php?cat=312
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#9 tonysurface

tonysurface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

I use a Renzetti Traveller. I have been looking at the Dyna Kings lately. I think I need two vises. Yes, two vises would be good.

#10 Dantfitz

Dantfitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

I use a peak, but I also own two HMH vises.

#11 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

Tied for years on a Danvise, but recently inherited a Dynaking kingfisher (i think) and a Renzetti Traveler. I tie mostly on the Traveler now because of the pedestal base and true rotary. The DK is rotary, but not true.....a step up from a fixed vise, but still not as good as a true rotary.

think about it. even Colonel Sanders has a true rotary rotisserie (this is pure speculation because i haven't actually been in a KFC for years). you want your flies to come out delicious and juicy don't you? Just some food for thought....wait....speaking of food, I could really go for some chicken!

#12 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

I own 3 Dyna-Kings .. a Kingfisher, Voyager2 and a Trekker. I'm still learning to use the rotary feature on the Trekker which is my main vise. All 3 have their uses but I like the Trekker the most. I have both the C-clamp and pedestal feature but use the pedestal the most.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#13 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

Renzetti Traveler upgrade from thompson knockoffs. I like it, makes looking at all sides of my flies easier and my wraps, etc. neater.

Cheri
NW Arkansas

"There is no more graceful and healthful accomplishment for a lady than fly-fishing, and there is no reason why a lady should not in every respect, rival a gentleman in the gentle art."
W.C. Prime, 1888

#14 ChuckingFluff

ChuckingFluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

Started on an el cheapo fixed vice from a kit, then moved to a Dyna-King Kingfisher non-true rotary. My last vice for a while and the one I use 99.99% of the time is a Jvice rotary.
><)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))(º >> ><))(º>

#15 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

I have tied for a few years on a DanVise New Classic, a "true rotary." I am upgrading in a few weeks (vice on order through local shop) to an HMH Spartan. Technically, this vice is only "true rotary" with the head angle set level, which is the only time I really need true rotary action (tying streamers like Clousers and Deceivers). I mainly want the Spartan for tying smaller flies with the adjustable head angle and their much more affordable (and well reviewed) midge jaws. I don't feel like I have enough room around the hook with the DanVise when I drop below about a size 18 or 20.