Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Rotary Vise poll

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

Poll: Rotary or not?

Rotary Vise ot not?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

Renzetti Traveler! official True Rotary! and then before that i had a terra rotary... both make it very easy to see all parts of a fly. and i often find myself using the rotary function on trout flies. The rotary function is great if you are thinking of tying streamers or saltwater patterns.
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#17 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

I tie on a Danvise. It works well but it does get cramped behind the hook, especially since I tie pretty much all saltwater.

#18 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

What's the hook range on a Danvise?
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#19 chrismartin

chrismartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

Started on a cheap "kit" vise... wore it out in about 6 months. Upgraded to the Renzetti Apprentice. The Jaws rotated, but not along the axis of the hook. Have since upgraded to the Renzetti Traveler... true rotary and a truly great vise. Have found true rotary to be a real asset to tying. It doesn't make me a better tier, but it does make me more efficient and certain techniques more easy.

#20 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (chrismartin @ Apr 1 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have since upgraded to the Renzetti Traveler... true rotary and a truly great vise. Have found true rotary to be a real asset to tying. It doesn't make me a better tier, but it does make me more efficient and certain techniques more easy.

yes i agree with that statement! headbang.gif
same here!

#21 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

True rotary vises for me. Dynaking Sidewinder, and a Nor-vise. 90+% of the time I use the Nor-vise. I spin dubbing on it, and use the rotary function to wind materials onto the fly. I wouldn't want to go back to a non-rotary vise, Looks like your responses are about 90% rotary.
"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#22 TOM PRUETT

TOM PRUETT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

Renzetti i think a cam 3000
ASUS RAMPAGE III EXTREME
970 @ 4.GHZ XPSC 360 RS COOLER KIT(EXCALIBUR FANS) PUSHPULL
24 GIG GSKILL SNIPER @2133
SLI 2X ASUS-CU II OC GTX 680 (2GB)
XFI - ASTRO A40 HEADSET
CORSAIR 800D CASE
ANTEC 1200 WATTS

#23 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

I still have my kit vise and i'm looking to get a rotary. So i was just wondering if I should stay with a fixed vise...I love rotarys though
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#24 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

Have you ever used one?

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

#25 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

Once, They are really nice! But I can't afford the one I'm looking at yet...I'll post pics of it when i save enough. Not that anyone cares...just i'll be excited
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#26 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

It's always fun to get new stuff. I for one would like to see pictures of your new toy when you get it wink.gif
~Archimedes

-Angus Menuge

#27 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

Thanks!
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

#28 Green Acres

Green Acres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

"true Rotary" all the way

#29 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Flytyer14 @ Apr 2 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have my kit vise and i'm looking to get a rotary. So i was just wondering if I should stay with a fixed vise...I love rotarys though

what rotary vise are you looking at. I know there are several ones you can get that don't cost much. There is the terra but i had horrible results with that one. And i forget the other one off the top of my head but i think jan or brian used to tie on it.

#30 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of the Griffin Spider vise. Retails for eighty-five dollars. Not exactly cheap but not super expensive either. Never tied on the thing, however I have heard favorable reports on it.
~Archimedes

-Angus Menuge