Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Rotary Vise poll

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

Poll: Rotary or not?

Rotary Vise ot not?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

Ahh. The griffin Spider, I was looking at that as well as the Anvil apex and the Renzetti Traveler. Although to get the traveler i would have to start making some major cash..
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#32 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,479 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Rotary- Renzetti Traveler that I've had for about 17 yrs now.

Steve

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#33 FishAholic85

FishAholic85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

I have tied on a fly master (non rotary) for years and didn't know what I was missing!(figuratively and literally wallbash.gif ).
But now I got a 720 and I have seen what I have been missing not being able to spin around to check, and to tie on tricky stuff like beards and what not.
So for true rotary I give it two thumbs up thumbup.gif

- "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!" - Anon.

- "I knew my tippet was too big when the willow tree I'd hooked on my back cast came flying over my head." - Jimmy D Moor

#34 flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

got me a used 'zetti traveler 4 yrs ago and love it! I do need to exchange the old jaws for the new cam lever jaws but other than that I LOVE IT!!!!
Acts 4:19,20 :But Peter and John replied, "Do you think God wants us to obey you rather than him? We cannot stop telling about everything we have seen and heard."

#35 StrBender

StrBender

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

I began tying on a Griffin A-2? Then two years ago I upgraded to the Renzetti Traveler. I enjoy both vices and I'm planning on adding another Renzetti later this year. I'm still undecided on which model, so that means I'll probably end up with the "Master Model" if I sell enough flies first! LOL

#36 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ Apr 3 2010, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps you are thinking of the Griffin Spider vise. Retails for eighty-five dollars. Not exactly cheap but not super expensive either. Never tied on the thing, however I have heard favorable reports on it.

yeah that was the one. thanks jan.

QUOTE (Flytyer14 @ Apr 3 2010, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh. The griffin Spider, I was looking at that as well as the Anvil apex and the Renzetti Traveler. Although to get the traveler i would have to start making some major cash..

some good vises there. the renzetti traveler is really a step up and a bit more dough. Also check out the danvise. i know that is another cheap rotary vise that i have heard great things about. A really expensive rotary vise is not going to make you a better tier. maybe a rotary vise in general will make you a better tier. just remember it is the fly tyer who makes the vise. not the vise that makes the fly tyer.
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#37 Wayne P

Wayne P

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

This is interesting. I tie on a HMH Spartan. While not true rotary, it will rotate when the head it level and I use it that way quite often, applying material with the rotary function.

When I attend fly tying shows, I see a lot of rotary vises. However a fairly high percentage of those using rotary vises are seen applying materials hand-over-hand and not using the rotary function. So they use a rotary vise, but not the rotary function. . . .

Of those here that have rotary vises, do you really use the rotary function when appropriate?

#38 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Fishyboy, I understand completely, I have heard several unfavorable reports on the danvise though.
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#39 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,479 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

Of those here that have rotary vises, do you really use the rotary function when appropriate?

I use it all the time. Spinning on dubbed bodies, palmering hackle, winding hackle collars, chenelle wrapping bodies. I'd say I use the rotary on probably 90% of the flies I tie.

Steve

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#40 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Wayne P @ Apr 4 2010, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is interesting. I tie on a HMH Spartan. While not true rotary, it will rotate when the head it level and I use it that way quite often, applying material with the rotary function.

When I attend fly tying shows, I see a lot of rotary vises. However a fairly high percentage of those using rotary vises are seen applying materials hand-over-hand and not using the rotary function. So they use a rotary vise, but not the rotary function. . . .

i use it alot. mostly flies over #14 pretty much anything smaller makes it easier to use your hands.

QUOTE (Flytyer14 @ Apr 4 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fishyboy, I understand completely, I have heard several unfavorable reports on the danvise though.

go to a fly shop and tie on several different vises. then you will find what you like best for the money! headbang.gif headbang.gif
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#41 streamcaddis

streamcaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

I use Renzetti. I got my first vise back in the 70's. I love the vise... yahoo.gif
I was tying flies and fly fishing before it got trendy.

#42 flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

What, no totally rad and awesome 720 fans?
Acts 4:19,20 :But Peter and John replied, "Do you think God wants us to obey you rather than him? We cannot stop telling about everything we have seen and heard."

#43 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

My primary vise is a LAW and I also have an old HMH that I use as a tube fly vise.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#44 Arkansas Mike

Arkansas Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (flytyinfreak @ Apr 5 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not anymore.

Mike

#45 ChuckingFluff

ChuckingFluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Arkansas Mike @ Apr 6 2010, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (flytyinfreak @ Apr 5 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not anymore.

Mike

Did he drop off the face of the earth or get banned?
><)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))( >> ><))(>