Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly Fishing Maldives

25 replies to this topic

#1 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

March Year 2007, my 1st trip to Maldives with all Fly Fishermen... out of 12 person... I'm the only guy who don't do fly fishing, during that trip... I was expose to how fun and challenge saltwater fly fishing...
in-front of my eye, saw my buddy hook up a 3kg GT on a 6wt... I can still remember his Abel screamed...he screamed... and I also screamed...!!!! Oh my God.... I have to take up this game, in my mind.....

November 2007... I went back to Maldives with fly gears.... was my 1st trip doing fly fishing... dare devil, even with only 5 months of practice, can hardly cast 60'.... I only hook up few fish... a small blue fin travaly, small emperor, small jack and some cute little grouper... but I'm happy...!!!

2009.... I went there again... it was a darm lucky year as we hit the jackpot...!!! right in the Bonefish Run..... total of 85 pcs of bone fish were landed on flies...

#2 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

Some of the pictures taken in 2009 trip...

#3 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

#4 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

those are some great pics. Beautiful bones headbang.gif

#5 gpd4

gpd4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

*jealous*
There is three times as much water on Earth as there is land. Any fool can see, God intended man to fish three times as much as he works.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#6 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

Nice fish!!
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#7 lykos33

lykos33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

Sweet fish and a beautiful pristine area there, I too am jealous. Congrats on a great trip!
I'll fish for anything I tell ya!!!
Murray Buck

#8 LeweyS

LeweyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Maldives looks a lot like the Florida Keys, and is making me want to do some saltwater fishing soon.

#9 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

The local use a wooden stick to fish bonefish....

#10 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:20 AM

March 2010... we went bank to Maldives hopping having the same luck... the same moon phase, same tide phase... but too bad..!!! world weather changed... March supposed to be hot like oven... but we were hit badly by the wind and heavy rain.... the only bonus was... we had our 1st Permit on fly

This year... we had many GTs and Blue Fin... the bonefish were just refuse to take... even we had the flies present right in-front of their nose..

#11 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:22 AM

Ooooppps.... he lost that big GT.....!!!!

But next day.... got this one...

#12 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:25 AM

Fishing.... to me, it's not the catch.... end of the trip... we caught many laughter, good memories and friendship.....

These are the 12 crazy FF .....

ready to war....

#13 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:29 AM

Posting at the captain's house....

Captain Ibrahim invite us back to his house for some tea and snacks..... Oh..!!! I almost broke my teeth trying to his 'Kola' ball....

look at my friend's face.....

#14 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

The Permit....

I realize... there are some similarity on both the fish and the fisherman..... both are bald .... tongue.gif

#15 dronlee

dronlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:35 AM

Cute....

Reply to this topic