Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Marker Poll

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Permanent Markers (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Permanent Markers

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NJ All Day

NJ All Day

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

I just use sharpies, i like them never had colors run on me before, but looking for some other types of markers to use.

So just vote.

Give your two cents.

And tell why you like the one over another.

I made it multiple choice because i know people dont use only one type usually.
Evan

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~Tony Blake~

#2 bjames36

bjames36

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

I bought a selection of pantones and they really last a long time. No problem with them drying out in the pen.
HOWEVER, they really fade when being used. The water sure causes the color to go.
I will check into Sharpies, maybe they have the color selection I need.

I should have added I coat the colored area with head cement or Dave's Flexament. Guess I will have to try Sally Hansen's.

#3 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

I use Prismacolour because they are widely available (in N America) and there is a vast selection of colours. Since most "permanent" markers "fade" after being dunked in water, it is always best to protect coloured surfaces with head cement, Sally Hansens, epoxy, or whatever. But be careful to make the first overcoat thin and quick- the colour will run into some solvents. (Someday, when I have nothing better to do, I will test the ability of various solvents/varnishes to dissolve marker colours.)

#4 biginjapan

biginjapan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

I picked pantone and other, i really like pantones as the colour range is great, however i only have a few left and they're very difficult to get in japan so i'm gradually swinging to copic markers, they're also pretty good especially for marking pvc and other surfaces that dont take ink well. they also have a blending pen for mixing colours should you want to. My only gripe is that the copics ahve only 2 tips, they dont have the really fine poins that the pantones have.

martyn

#5 UtahAngler

UtahAngler

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

Sharpies are the easiest to find so thats what I use. Nothing more to it than that.

#6 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

Sharpies are the easiest to find so thats what I use. Nothing more to it than that.

Same here.

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#7 92Esquire

92Esquire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:02 AM

I use Sharpies (when I can find the color I want), Bics (cheaper than Sharpies, and a wide selection of colors available in the multipacks) and Prismacolors. Be careful if you use CA glue around Sharpies and Bics. Bics in particular turn really odd colors when exposed to CA glue. Sharpies I have not had quite as much trouble with, and Prismacolors (at least the shades I have) don't react with the glue.

#8 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

I use Sharpies and Prismacolors. Prismacolors are fairly expensive but come ine some great colors. I use Cool Grey, Dark Olive and Dark Brown to mark tails on shrimp patterns. Otherwise I just use Sharpies, usually in black, yellow or green.

#9 Mike Boyer

Mike Boyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

I have a set of Pantone pens I've been using for 20 years. Still working well.

#10 Pat M

Pat M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

I use the Sharpie currently but wanted to experiment with the Prismacolors. Anyone know of a good source (cost) to
locate the some. cool.gif

#11 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Pat M @ Apr 23 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use the Sharpie currently but wanted to experiment with the Prismacolors. Anyone know of a good source (cost) to

Joanne's and Michael's both carry them. Michael's occasionally has them on sale (4 for $10 or so).

#12 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

I use sharpies and they have worked fine. i just use 4 colors(black, red, blue, green) and that works well for me. if i ever get more markers i will probally get prismas because they have a nice color spectrum. but they are a bit expensive.
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#13 Pat M

Pat M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (agn54 @ Apr 23 2010, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Pat M @ Apr 23 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joanne's and Michael's both carry them. Michael's occasionally has them on sale (4 for $10 or so).

Thank you agn54!

#14 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

Sharpie & Chartpak. Sharpies are easy to get and what I use the most, and I bought some olive Chartpaks several years ago. Chartpak has a real good selection of colors that you won't find in the Sharpies.

#15 smokinprice

smokinprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

I have always used good ole Sharpies without any problems