Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

looking for a good source of seal fur dubbing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mdraft1

mdraft1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

Hi everyone,

Any suggestions for a good source of seal fur dubbing? I have used the dubbing that John sells at feathersmc.com and it is really great stuff, but you pay for it! Just wondering if there are other sources for seal fur.

thanks in advance.

symbol-blacksmall_zps846a7b3b.jpg

Proof Fly Fishing

We source the highest quality fly tying, rod building, and fly fishing products so you don't have to

Want to stay in touch?  Proof Fly Fishing Newsletter Signup

facebookpic_zpsb319e950.jpg

#2 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

John was going to be my first suggestion, but since you are asking for an alternate source, you could buy real seal fur dubbing from Feather Craft (www.feather-craft.com). Here is a link to their seal dubbing. Great stuff and also great price ($1.25 USD/pack).

Real Seal Dubbing
http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#3 mdraft1

mdraft1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

symbol-blacksmall_zps846a7b3b.jpg

Proof Fly Fishing

We source the highest quality fly tying, rod building, and fly fishing products so you don't have to

Want to stay in touch?  Proof Fly Fishing Newsletter Signup

facebookpic_zpsb319e950.jpg

#4 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Glad to help. wink.gif
http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#5 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hi mdraft1,

Feather-Craft has a mix, but it isn't completely seal hair. There's a person in Canada named Paul Smith that's been selling baby seal hair for years at rock bottom prices. It's the best you can get for seal dubbing. It takes a little while to get due to the mail being slow at Spaniards Bay where he's located, but for the price he cannot be beat unless you have a relative that lives up north. His website is at this link: http://www.haresfeet...com/sealfur.htm He's as honest as they come and sold me quite an amount of natural and dyed baby seal well below what his prices are posted simply because he didn't have one color that I had wanted. He even went as far as offering to dye a batch, but it wasn't that big a deal. If your worried about it going through customs etc. don't be. It took one month from the time that I sent him off a Postal Money order till I received the dubbing. Just another option.

Regards,
Mark

#6 arkle

arkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

I've not tried John McC's seal so can't comment, but the best seal I've ever used in 40+ years of tying & that's both amateur & pro is from Steve Cooper of www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk