Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What Mayfly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

this was sitting on my window today. It's about a standard size 12 I think. Note the greatly reduced hind wings. Location is New Cumberland, Pa.

Attached Files

• Attached File  0524.JPG   582.1KB   102 downloads
  • Attached File  0525.JPG   611.86KB   65 downloads
  • Attached File  0526.JPG   852.81KB   70 downloads

Does anyone know

Where the Love of God goes

When the waves

Turn the minutes to hours?

#2 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like a Blue Winged Olive.
Bruce

#3 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (JSzymczyk @ Jul 2 2010, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this was sitting on my window today. It's about a standard size 12 I think. Note the greatly reduced hind wings. Location is New Cumberland, Pa.

Callibaetis spinner.

#4 Taxon

Taxon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

Jaydub nailed it. It's a Callibaetis female spinner.

#5 Nina Gomj

Nina Gomj

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Mayflies are insects which belong to the Order Ephemeroptera (from the Greek ephemeros = "short-lived", pteron = "wing", referring to the short life span of adults). They have been placed into an ancient group of insects termed the Palaeoptera, which also contains dragonflies and damselflies. They are aquatic insects whose immature stage (called naiad or, colloquially, nymph) usually lasts one year in freshwater. The adults are short-lived, from a few minutes to a few days depending on the species. About 2,500 species are known worldwide, including about 630 species in North America. Common names for mayflies include "Canadian Soldiers", "dayfly", "shadfly", "Green Bay flies", "lake fly", "fishfly"(commonly called this in Great lakes Region, "midgee", and "jinx fly".