Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Online or shop

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Online or Fly Shop

Online or Fly Shop

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 flyguys

flyguys

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

This is my first attempt at a poll so please forgive me. Reason for this poll is because i hear all kinds of people saying support your local shop but for people like me there is no local shop. I have to buy my materials online to get quality Wapsi or Hareline materials. I recently found that supplier on Ebay and he is going to be my supplier from now on so this is my only way of supporting a shop. Well thank for participating. I dont want to advertise so if you want to see the shops ebay page follow my sigs link. Have fun and happy tying.
Find Materials at stores.ebay.com/miamivalleytackle

#2 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

I know what you mean. The closet fly shop to me is about a 5-6hr drive.

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#3 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

When I buy online I try to support the sponsor of this website.

#4 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

J Stockard, a sponsor of this site, has a huge selection, very competitive prices, and the best customer service out there. Over the past several years I have bought most of my stuff from there. Until last year, I was also living in a place with no access to a "fly shop" and J Stockard proved to be the best. Plus, I know every time I buy from them a little bit of my $ goes to support the operation of this site.

the gales of November remembered...

#5 Mr. Steelhead

Mr. Steelhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

I try to support the site sponser as well, but I also support my Local Shop, but in this case it is the Fly Shop at Bass Pro in Harrisburg. This is not the run of the mill Bass Pro in my opinion. Their Fly shop manager is Bobby Clouser and all of the staff there is very intellegent and very good tiers. They offer excellent help in anything and have free classes throughout the year. Excellent shop and great people, Bobby learned from all those years in his fathers shop and he tryes to run this shop in a very similar manner.

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,143 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:38 AM

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=53030
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#7 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

I buy most of my materials online, and buy from several sources. The shops that were in my area have since closed. There are a few other shops within an hour's drive, but they primarily cater to trout anglers and don't have much that I need. There is a Bass Pro Shop near me, but frankly, they haven't got a clue when it comes to materials! huh.gif

#8 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Steelhead @ Jul 2 2010, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I try to support the site sponser as well, but I also support my Local Shop, but in this case it is the Fly Shop at Bass Pro in Harrisburg. This is not the run of the mill Bass Pro in my opinion. Their Fly shop manager is Bobby Clouser and all of the staff there is very intellegent and very good tiers. They offer excellent help in anything and have free classes throughout the year. Excellent shop and great people, Bobby learned from all those years in his fathers shop and he tryes to run this shop in a very similar manner.

That's the closest shop to me too, about 15 minutes out the door. IMO pretty good, but there seems to be several folks working there without much local knowledge- talk all day about steelhead in Erie. Perhaps whatever is going on with the Susquehanna has something to do with it. Whenever I go there, I always end up leaving with something I didn't need, and still needing something they didn't stock!!

#9 fishabuoy

fishabuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

No shop nearby, so I end up buying online more often than not. I support my "local" shops (at least a two hour drive) as much as possible, and if not I support the sponsor shops for the many boards I frequent.

#10 gpd4

gpd4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

T. Hargrove in St. Louis has yet to let me down...
There is three times as much water on Earth as there is land. Any fool can see, God intended man to fish three times as much as he works.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#11 wsender

wsender

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Maybe I'm a little dense but I'd like to support the sponsors of this site for some of the harder to find items I can't pick up at Bass Pro. However I can't find their links. I know I'm a little dense, so can someone help me out and point me in the right direction?

#12 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (wsender @ Jul 7 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm a little dense but I'd like to support the sponsors of this site for some of the harder to find items I can't pick up at Bass Pro. However I can't find their links. I know I'm a little dense, so can someone help me out and point me in the right direction?

yes, right up at the top of this, and every Fly Tying Forum page, is a big clickable ad/link to J Stockard.

#13 bowfin47

bowfin47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (gpd4 @ Jul 6 2010, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
T. Hargrove in St. Louis has yet to let me down...

I havn't run into Tom H. in a very long time, but I'm sure that he's still the same great guy that he was in his (our) younger years - slower and grayer (like us all), but still a great guy. I'd also bet that like Tom, his stop is still first rate.

Look, if you don't have a "local shop" near you, you can still support local shops, i.e. the local shops of others. You can order (often on line) from T. Hargrove or another shop.

You can always "stop in" at "local shops" when ya' travel to another part of the country. For instance, every October, when I go to Mountain Home, Arkansas for FFF - Southern Council Conclave (where you'll see many of the best tyers in the country), I always hit the shops in Mountain Home/Cotter/Rim Shoals area. It gives me a chance to examine new or different flies, materials, and equipment. These folks always have items that I want (and ya' can actually try on clothing /waders/boots before purchasing them - YAHOO!), and besides, if I don't spend a little money there - if we all don't spend a little money with shops in the areas where we travel, I (we) can't ever complain if they disappear... and shops across the country have been disappearing at a far to fast a rate!

This is not to say that at other times of the year, I don't order from online vendors... I do, every year. Do support J. Stockard and the other venders that support this web site!

In addition, I also support the venders at FFF Conclaves/EXPO's, as the Conclaves and EXPO's wouldn't be there, but for the support of these venders.

By the way, if you've never made it to a number of FFF Conclaves/EXPO's then you've missed out on a lot... I'm always amazed at tyers who never go to these fantastic events to learn from tyers, many of whom are the best tyers in this country and are so willing to teach their favorite patterns and techniques gleaned over years of practicing the arts of tying.

Bowfin47

Co-Founder Classic Atlantic Bream Fly Society
Life Member - Federation of Fly Fishers

FFF Member Since '84

#14 mdraft1

mdraft1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

I buy from both. The local fly shop is pretty small and doesn't always have what I am looking for. for online purchases I usually give Dave Hise (casters fly shop) a call. He has just about everything in stock and he ships for free.

symbol-blacksmall_zps846a7b3b.jpg

Proof Fly Fishing

We source the highest quality fly tying, rod building, and fly fishing products so you don't have to

Want to stay in touch?  Proof Fly Fishing Newsletter Signup

facebookpic_zpsb319e950.jpg

#15 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

I get some of my stuff from Miami Valley tackle too!
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.