Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TOM PRUETT

Building Your Own Epoxy Dryer for Better Saltwater flies

It looks a lot like a home made version of the commercial one I have been using for years. One thing that would improve the one in the link is to have a much larger diameter wheel on which to pin the flies too so it would hold more without crowding. You don't want to touch the ones you've already positioned while they are still wet.

I bought a rotisserie motor with D-batteries, I liked that it was cordless. Also as a matter of personal preference I really like using alligator clips over just holding flies by foam. I had a couple times that I just didn't get enough space between the foam and fly and made a new art mobile instead.

Should work fine. I have one I made with a DC motor and gear box from a timer/switch actuator, and one that I made from an AC Microwave oven motor. Found a throw-away microwave and tore it apart for the motor, and got a couple of big kick-ass magnets from the magnetron as a bonus. I like that one because it just plugs into the wall, no BSing around with adapters or batteries.

Also found that I don't have any need for a rotary dryer if I'm using 5-minute epoxy. If I'm going to the trouble to do a bunch of flies on the wheel, I use 30 minute epoxy. In my experience it sets up more clear, and stays that way.

If you're mechanically inclined, I'd add an on/off switch, and as Stippled suggested, a larger wheel. Also, I've seen them done with clips and you can do multiple disks on one shaft.

That being said, I've been using the manual method for my tying including some commercial orders over the last 20 years. I've got a handful of these and can do dozens at a time.

Kirk

DSC_1445-1.jpg

DSC_1446-2.jpg

Should work fine. I have one I made with a DC motor and gear box from a timer/switch actuator, and one that I made from an AC Microwave oven motor. Found a throw-away microwave and tore it apart for the motor, and got a couple of big kick-ass magnets from the magnetron as a bonus. I like that one because it just plugs into the wall, no BSing around with adapters or batteries.

Also found that I don't have any need for a rotary dryer if I'm using 5-minute epoxy. If I'm going to the trouble to do a bunch of flies on the wheel, I use 30 minute epoxy. In my experience it sets up more clear, and stays that way.

thats another problem i have epoxy does not stay clear!! i wiil try 30 min epoxy

thanks tom