Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Canadian goose feathers- bleaching and dying

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PAPA VV

PAPA VV

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

HI

I am a newbie to the forum and to tying. I have a couple of questions about canadian goose wing feathers. I have a number of them provided by my hunting friends.

Question One. Can they be bleached, and how do I go about it???

Question Two. Can they then be dyed, and how do I go about that?????

Would appreciate any direct answers or sources of information, haven"t had too much luck searching the forum and googling

Thanks in advance for your help.

PAPA VV

LIKE I SAID I AM A NEWBIE AND NOT COMPUTER AND FORUM SAVVY, DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THIS SECOND POST SORRY FOR THE ERROR

#2 skidoosh

skidoosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

Probably the best book on the topic is Dyeing and Bleaching by A.K. Best. I have heard of guys bleaching with hair bleach that is painted on. The difficulty is if you have bulk feathers is matching a left and right to make them usable.

#3 oldsmuggler

oldsmuggler

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

On my last trip to Canada I found a lot of these feathers... I thought were useless...
Eduardo Sanchez

Mendoza - Argentina

#4 bad fish rising

bad fish rising

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

they make great wingcases on nymphs just the way they are
i use a little fixative spray on them to help hold their shape while tying
BADFISH RISING

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:21 AM

heres an article on dyeing natural materials

http://www.beaucatch...Tying_Materials
Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#6 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Do not bleach them, that will burn the barbules and hooklets. You can try using peroxide, but I really don't think it will do much good. Slate gray feathers can only be dyed darker, black for sure and maybe a very dark blue or purple. Dying feathers is easy if you use acid dyes specifically made for fly tying.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#7 PAPA VV

PAPA VV

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (TroutBum @ Aug 30 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do not bleach them, that will burn the barbules and hooklets. You can try using peroxide, but I really don't think it will do much good. Slate gray feathers can only be dyed darker, black for sure and maybe a very dark blue or purple. Dying feathers is easy if you use acid dyes specifically made for fly tying.

Thanks for the info guys, Your quote above kicks my idea in the but. Was hoping to bleach the canadian goose feathers and then dye various colors for married wings parts. At this point in time I am a long ways from that as I am a very brand new tiweer.

Thanks again

PAPA VV