Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
john adams

Red Tag Jig.

Nice fly John, and it should catch fish. However, it is a red TAIL jig; not a ref "tag" jig. A "tag" is typically a couple of wraps of tinsel around the hook shank just behind the body. This fly would, in fact, look fabulous with a true tag of gold tinsel or mylar just under the tail and at the very base of the body.

perchjerker

Nice fly John, and it should catch fish. However, it is a red TAIL jig; not a ref "tag" jig. A "tag" is typically a couple of wraps of tinsel around the hook shank just behind the body. This fly would, in fact, look fabulous with a true tag of gold tinsel or mylar just under the tail and at the very base of the body.

perchjerker

Don't forget the old British fly known as the Red Tag. It, too, had a dark body (peacock) and a red wool tail.

Yes this is not a classic , (classic of peacock) .Name is derived from the similarities to this classic - colours. Head painted like the jig powder .

Best

I've been using jigs like these for ice fishing for panfishing this year. Very effective. I use 1/64 oz jigs and dress them like traditional trout nymphs. The Zug Bug is particularly good.

John, that's a good looking jig! I particularly like the "buggy" appearance of the body! That's my kind of fly or jig!

When I was tying commercially I had a few clients who were avid Crappie anglers, and I tied all kinds of nymph variations on jig heads for them. As Black Dog mentioned, Zug Bug's were one, as were Prince Nymphs. Peacock seemed to work well on Crappies. However, I usually modified anything that required biots. I hate using them, they look OK, but to me have no motion at all, so rubber or silicone leg materials were often substituted. We tried many things, some being combinations of various fly patterns, and it always seemed that the more "buggy" we made them, the better they worked!