Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Riding On Air

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DHC

DHC

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

Riding On Air

Recently West Water Products home of the Thingamabobber located in Pleasant Grove, Utah came out with a new product they call the Thingamabody. This product is simply a small piece of enclosed tubing that allows a fly tier to attach an air bubble to a hook making a fly virtually unsinkable. This product is rather costly, but what if there was a way to accomplish the same methodology with a more inexpensive product? Just think a fly riding on air.

With this thought in mind several years ago I stumbled onto such a concept while using Heat Shrink to repair an electrical cord that had been damaged. The idea was simple just take a small section of Heat Shrink and use a low wattage soldering iron to reduce the size of the ends and then crimp, plug, or seal by crimping the ends – Walla, you have an unsinkable air bubble to attach to a hook. (Examples)Attached File  2_Picture.jpg   77.12KB   0 downloads

Since I tied the first Heat Shrink fly, I have found better Heat Shrink materials and developed tying techniques that have allowed me to produce unsinkable Heat Shrink flies that look and act on the water very much like the natural insects. This material and methods allow a fly tier to modify the patterns he or she ties in such a way that they can look like traditional flies or something entirely different. By different we mean more life-like because there is no longer a need to provide lots of foams, hair or hackle to achieve floatation and maintain buoyancy (Examples). Attached File  Salmon 3-1-1.jpg   78.99KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Salmon 1-1-2.jpg   82.26KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Rated-X Damsel+1.jpg   74.65KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Skwala2.jpg   83.98KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Syn Wulf.jpg   94.67KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Hybrid Imitator Silhouette.JPG   91.14KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Dave's Bubble Emerger-2.jpg   69.39KB   0 downloadsAttached File  PMD-1.jpg   7.92KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Newmorea.jpg   4.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Chrnoblyl Ant-1.jpg   8.29KB   0 downloads

Could this method of fly tying have the ability to revolutionize how dry flies are tied? Possibly, because Heat Shrink tubing allows a tier to attach an air bubble applied to the hook which then makes the fly unsinkable. This air bubble provides unsurpassed floatation in any type of water, and if properly tied makes a fly that has the characteristics of real insects. We created a blog (http://unsinkableflies.blogspot.com/) to keep tiers informed of new and different techniques as well as products that have been found to be useful in tying flies using Heat Shrink to make them ride on air.

#2 fairwxflyfish

fairwxflyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

How does this feel to the fish, by that I mean does the fly have hard edges at the ends of the HST ?

Would a fish like a trout spit this out faster then a mouth full of diesel fuel ?

They remind me of the molded plastic body flies of the 80's ..

But and there is always a but - If they have soft edges, sit on the water correctly, behave on the water correctly and are durable..

Then GREATBRINGTHEMON!!!
As in the Army, I have never had a bad day flyfishing, some damn uncomfortable ones but never a bad one!
Everybody must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
A member of the order of the Odonata
Vice-president of Project Healing Waters Canada...http://projecthealingwaters.ca/

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

it has already been done for stoneflies

http://flyanglersonl.../010807fotw.php

not sure if the material is heat shrink tube

Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner and experienced tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Fly tyers can be masters at making things complicated!

#4 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

If you ever catch me using this crap to tie a "fly", shoot me.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.

#5 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

Everything old will be new again.

It's a cool idea, but hardly "new", and "revolutionize" is on the get-real side of optimistic.

I think this has great possibilities for bass poppers and bream bugs and things like that, and less so for trout flies. Not to say you can't catch trout on poppers, but you know what I mean.

We've been dinking around with enclosed air bubbles in flies for decades, at least. The Japanese style cellophane balloon extended mayfly bodies immediately come to mind. No doubt heat-shrink is more durable, but less lifelike (or whatever).

the gales of November remembered...

#6 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (troutguy @ Oct 10 2010, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you ever catch me using this crap to tie a "fly", shoot me.

I feel the same way Bob.

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#7 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

oh joy, another infomercial post.
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#8 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

holy crap if you can't make a fly float with hackle cdc or something else what makes you think an air bubble will work any better plus with the added weight of the heat shrink tube I'm not so sure it would float anyway

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#9 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

Interesting idea, I'd be curious what the fish think.
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#10 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

how much does a 1/2 inch long piece of heat shrink tubing weigh?? dunno.gif

i'll bet these unibobber weigh more than heat shrink tubing

Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner and experienced tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Fly tyers can be masters at making things complicated!

#11 DHC

DHC

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (riffleriversteelheadslayer @ Oct 11 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
holy crap if you can't make a fly float with hackle cdc or something else what makes you think an air bubble will work any better plus with the added weight of the heat shrink tube I'm not so sure it would float anyway

Specific Gravity of THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN in clear is .95 which means it floats without any air bubble. Colored thin wall products weigh more up to a specific gravity of 1.4

#12 DHC

DHC

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (flytire @ Oct 12 2010, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how much does a 1/2 inch long piece of heat shrink tubing weigh?? dunno.gif

i'll bet these unibobber weigh more than heat shrink tubing

Unibobbers are made of a harder polymer like polyehtylene LLDPE with a specific gravity of .96-.97 which means they float. THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN in clear has a specific gravity of .95 the difference is that it is softer. Colored THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN depending on color can have a specific gravity of up to 1.4. You can use the Unibobber and THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN together.

#13 DHC

DHC

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ Oct 11 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting idea, I'd be curious what the fish think.

I have tied all types of dry flies with THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN heat shrink. They work as well, if not better,m than traditional dry flies without the use of floatants. If you really want them to float high add floatant.

#14 DHC

DHC

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (fairwxflyfish @ Oct 10 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does this feel to the fish, by that I mean does the fly have hard edges at the ends of the HST ?

Would a fish like a trout spit this out faster then a mouth full of diesel fuel ?

They remind me of the molded plastic body flies of the 80's ..

But and there is always a but - If they have soft edges, sit on the water correctly, behave on the water correctly and are durable..

Then GREATBRINGTHEMON!!!

THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN heat shrink is soft unlike the molded Unibobber. If you used heat and thread to attach it to the hook there is very little to no hard edges. Heat shrink is tough and will outlast other materials on the fly and if tied correctly will float like a real insect.

#15 Bryan Wright

Bryan Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (DHC @ Oct 12 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (riffleriversteelheadslayer @ Oct 11 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Specific Gravity of THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN in clear is .95 which means it floats without any air bubble. Colored thin wall products weigh more up to a specific gravity of 1.4

Okay you lost me with that one.
Posted Image

If you always try what you have always done, nothing will ever change!
-Tony Robbins