Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Mayfly Field Id Guide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zug buggin

zug buggin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hey guys I'm in the deep south and recently devoted myself to learning more about Ephemeroptera. I'm finding tons of great info at the various Entomology sites, but I need a field guide WITH PICTURES of Mayflies instead of drawings. Does on exist? If so can I get some recommendations
"Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

#2 Bryan Wright

Bryan Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

I swear I remember seeing something like that but I can't for the life of me think of what it was. If I remember I will let you know.
Posted Image

If you always try what you have always done, nothing will ever change!
-Tony Robbins

#3 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Back in the early '80s Caucci and Nastasi put out a neat, small fieldguide called Instant Mayfly Identification Guide. It contained layman-friendly keys and photos of nymphs and adults. I don't know if it's still available. And I'm sure some of the species names have been changed since then.

#4 zug buggin

zug buggin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (rockworm @ Dec 3 2010, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back in the early '80s Caucci and Nastasi put out a neat, small fieldguide called Instant Mayfly Identification Guide. It contained layman-friendly keys and photos of nymphs and adults. I don't know if it's still available. And I'm sure some of the species names have been changed since then.

That edition is out of print, Caucci and Nastasi have just released The Mayfly Guide: Quick and Easy Steps to Identifying Nymphs, Duns, and Spinners I saw it at Borders for about $27.00

I'm going to pick that up when the wife isn't paying attention
"Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

#5 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

I remember having one in 99 that came in a plastic bag. It had like color guide or something in it's name
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#6 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

There are several of these style books as well

AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa