Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hook point up or down?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Hook point up or down?

With respect to hook setting capabilities, When fishing streamers do you prefer hook point up or hook point down?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When fishing nymphs. Do you prefer the hook point up or hook point down?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

When fishing dries, emergers, spinners, etc. Do you prefer hook point up or hook point down?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 dayhut

dayhut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Up, whenever possible

"Culture comes to nothing without good plumbing."

#32 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

I have always tied and fished HPD.
For the last several years I purposely set the hook to the extreme left or right and usually hook the fish in the side of the mouth. This has resulted in fewer missed strikes because the hook is less prone to pull out of the fishes mouth even if it' mouth is open.
I am currently experimenting with HPU for streamers and nymphs.
The top sides of a fishes mouth has even more surace area than the bottom. For this reason in addition to L or R hook set HPU may further improve hook up's to land more fish.
It is interesting to note L or R hook set almost never goes down the throat.
Just think by adding HPU to the mix could making Catch & Release easier.

#33 dayhut

dayhut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

Offsetting the hook, or bending the point out of line with the shaft, has a name:
"Kirbed" and "reversed"

Kirbed or Reversed hook points are said to provide a better hook-up rate as the point does not get deflected by the shank. I've seen what you say; it does seem to make for better hook ups.

Strictly speaking, a kirbed hook point bends out to the right looking straight-on to the shaft, and the reversed hook point bends out to the left.

Hook trivia....

"Culture comes to nothing without good plumbing."

#34 JayWirth

JayWirth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

With streamers the point up or down doesn't matter. Research I have done appears that the choice up or down depended mainly on the shape and materials of the body.

"Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people."

Arlo Guthrie