Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

spring loaded vises

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: spring loaded vises

would you suggest someone get a spring loaded vise?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

robow

Twice (many years ago) I have had to send my jaws back to Regal after they chipped- spitting out tiny hooks. Both times Regal repaired the jaws and returned them to me without charge. But they also sent instructions how to mount a hook properly and warned that they would charge a repair fee in the future if the jaws were damaged by improper use. I don't know whether I was at fault. But I like to think the jaws may have had a couple of small crystalline defects. Either way, I haven't had any problems in the ten years since the last event. I now have three Regal jaws: the standard, the midge and the stainless. You don't need three, however. The stainless work fine for almost all hook sizes. The only time I use another vise (HMH) is when tying very tiny flies.

#17 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

I've used most types of jaw systems over the years, and ended up with a Regal Medallion. Best vise purchase I ever made. Built like a tank, VERY easy to use, and I've never had any problems at all with it.

I've never had it spit out a hook (you just have to pay attention when you're placing the hook in the jaws, as mentioned.) I usually don't tie anything smaller than #18, but have never had a problem of any kind.

I figure this one will last me until my "ticket gets cancelled." I don't have any experience with the "knock-offs", but the hook holding system is a simple idea, I would think it depends on the quality of materials and construction.

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold