Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what bobbin do you use?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Poll: type of bobbin

brand of bobbin you use

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

just curious what bobbins are being used on a regular basis.. please feel free to vote for more than one.. and if i left any off the list tell the brand.. i am using 4 norvise autobobbins, a renzetti, a matarelli, 2 rite (ceramic and magnum). a s&m , and i have several knockoffs..

#2 Bryan Wright

Bryan Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

I didn't expect so many to use the Rite or the Nor-Vise one. I think mine is a griffon but I honestly don't remeber. I got it at cabellas.
Posted Image

If you always try what you have always done, nothing will ever change!
-Tony Robbins

#3 tonysurface

tonysurface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

I use Stonfo and Tiemcos. I would say my favorite is the Tiemco Heavy duty (black ceramic). I have some Dr. Slick ceramics but I don't use them anymore. After using the Tiemcos, the Dr. Slicks are too light and feel cheap to me. The Stonfos are nice and use them for 6/0 and 3/0 monocord. I use the Tiemcos for 8/0 and smaller threads.

#4 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

I have more than a dozen of the standard and magnum Griffin bobbins. They don't cost as much as some of the others that have a ceramic insert, and having a bunch saves some the hassle of changing threads.

#5 Redneck Fly

Redneck Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

been using the rite mag bobbin for 2 weeks and i really like it i won't go back to my other one unless im using two kinds of thread and need to bobbins its a great bobbin with some cool features but the manufacturing of it was not what i hoped it would be for the price. it had to big burrs on the plastic molded hubs that if your paying that much for a bobbin is uncalled for.

but all that aside it works great and feels great and like the ability to adjust the tension with the hub then having to bend and re-bend the leg of my old bobbin it was a huge guessing game.
I will give up my gun when they pry it from my cold dead fingers (Charlton Heston)

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

http://www.flytyingf...ads/t55106.html

http://www.flytyingf...php/t36953.html
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#7 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

I have two rite bobbins, and a few I have no idea who they're made from. I like the rites, cause Im able to adjust the tension as I need it without having to always have to flex the bobbin.
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG

#8 primitivepete

primitivepete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (petelangevin @ Jan 26 2011, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just curious what bobbins are being used on a regular basis.. please feel free to vote for more than one.. and if i left any off the list tell the brand.. i am using 4 norvise autobobbins, a renzetti, a matarelli, 2 rite (ceramic and magnum). a s&m , and i have several knockoffs..

just switched to the shorty rite bobbin and love it. tied for 4 years with the piece of crap bobbin that came with my no name kit vise.

The old one just wouldn't adjust well enough by bending the arms and I broke thread all the time cause the tension was so unpredictable. Can't believe how nice the rite bobbin is and how long I suffered with the old one!

Heard good stuff about the tiemco bobbins too, but the price was the same and wanted to try the adjustable one. I think I will try to make a bobbin sometime soon, cause it can't be that hard. It would be fun to have an original design.

#9 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

I use the rite bobbins. However, I never use the tension feature - I adjust thread tension in the go with my palm. Just enough tension from the bobbin to keep the spool from unwinding while it hangs there. I just really like the way they sit in my hand.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#10 Bryan Wright

Bryan Wright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

I am still suprised to see so many have voted for Rite. I know there unique in that you can adjust the tension but 20 bucks just seems like a lot for a bobbin.
Posted Image

If you always try what you have always done, nothing will ever change!
-Tony Robbins

#11 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

I just started using the new Rite bobbin, with the half hitch extra, it's a great handy little bobbin. My very 1st Rite bobbin.. Hook & Hackle currently has them on sale for $23.99 couldn't pass that up.

Mike

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#12 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

I use a renzetti midge tip, i think mainly as they had them at the local shop and have acquired 2 now, also have a no-name crap one that came in a kit. Can't complain with the renzetti - feels nice in my hand.

#13 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

I have a Matarelli that I use most of the time, and a Griffin ceramic I use with Pearsall's silk thread.

#14 smokinprice

smokinprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

I have four of the rite bobbins and love them

#15 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

I have several Griffin bobbins in different sizes. The first bobbin I owned was a Chase bobbin, and I have a couple of old Herters.