Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what bobbin do you use?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Poll: type of bobbin

brand of bobbin you use

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

I started using the Stonfo a few months back. With out a doubt the most comfortable bobbin Ive ever used. Honestly I cant even hold a griffin any more.
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#17 centerx

centerx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Rite for me but the stonefo looks interesting

#18 Hairstacker

Hairstacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

I just use Griffins with the ceramic inserts. I use my hand to adjust thread tension, so I set them all just tight enough to keep the spool from unwinding while hanging; as a result, I only have to set them once when purchased and haven't felt a need to use anything else since they're relatively inexpensive, readily available, and I'm satisfied with their performance.

Mike

#19 Hairstacker

Hairstacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

As an aside, after thinking about it, I too am surprised by the popularity of the Rite bobbin . . . .

I can see preferring it if it's more comfortable in the hand; however, for me, I can't see buying it just because you can adjust and set the thread tension. I find myself having to contantly adjust the tension on the thread as I tie a fly and what can be more quick and sensitive than the palm of your hand? Even a single material like deer hair for a streamer wing may require varying tension as you tie it in to secure it. Given that you should have very little thread out to maintain good thread control, I would think this tension-set feature would be a real hindrance rather than an advantage, if you've set the tension on the bobbin at anything other than loose.

Also, I see they came out with a version that's assists in doing half-hitches and whip finishes. I suppose the half-hitch feature is slightly useful for doing half-hitches at the head of a fly, but then again, I'm typically doing a whip-finish there, not half-hitches. Moreover, in order to execute a whip finish with this tool, you first have to have placed a half-hitch or two, because the tool does not maintain tension on the thread while executing a whip finish. In my mind, that is a significant disadvantage if you're required to execute half-hitches before you can execute a whip finish.

Anyway, those are the thoughts that come to my mind when I think of those bobbins . . . .

-- Mike

#20 onceahoosier

onceahoosier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

I have close to a dozen bobbins of various types but I find Griffin to be the best value of the ones I've tried. Unlike my other, mostly cheaper bobbins, it rarely if ever cuts/breaks thread, and for the $7 or so it costs is a pretty good value. I now use the cheaper bobbins for brassie wire, floss, etc.

Tom

#21 gadabout

gadabout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

I'm a Matarelli guy - have three or four of them. I've used them throughout my entire fly tying career, which is about 32 years now.

#22 Trout.vs.Bass

Trout.vs.Bass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I just use the one that came with my kit works fine. My vise died out of my kit (mainly cause of all the flies i tied on it) but my bobbin is still going so chose other on the vote

I fish best with a lit cigar and something to drink, some people fish better with talent and skill....go figure

#23 boynabubble

boynabubble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

I have a rite bobbin and just a standard ceramic bobbin (don't remember the brand). I thought I would like the rite bobbin, but I don't really use it that much. I like to tie several different patterns each night, and it is just a pain in the butt to have to unscrew the side of the rite bobbin every time I want to change thread. So, I usually end up using my no-name bobbin simply for that reason.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the grip and ceramic insert both fell off of my rite bobbin, so I wasn't impressed with it for that reason also.

BNB
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 bowfin47

bowfin47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (gadabout @ Jan 30 2011, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a Matarelli guy - have three or four of them. I've used them throughout my entire fly tying career, which is about 32 years now.

Ditto... I too am another "old school" Materilli guy. Love em' have a dozen or so that I've used for about 30 years... Definitely got my money's worth!

Co-Founder Classic Atlantic Bream Fly Society
Life Member - Federation of Fly Fishers

FFF Member Since '84

#25 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

I have a few Dr Slicks and Griffins ceramic, have no problems with either

#26 Nor-viser

Nor-viser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

My main use bobbins are the norvise ones for most uses, ekich for thread smaller than 10/0 and rite for spinning deer hair, while the first ceramic ones are used for floss and wire.

#27 stanbiker

stanbiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

I have the knockoff's that I use for wire, and was a big fan of the rite bobbins and have 2 of them. Now that I have the Nor bobbin, I think I would buy one even with a regular fixed vise

#28 Randy Taylor

Randy Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

been using a norvise retractable bobbin since i started tying
i cant seem to get the hang of using normal ones....

RANDY TAYLOR
TIGHT LINES

//////////////////

The way that you wander
ls the way that you choose.....
The day that you tarry
ls the day that you lose.....
Jeremiah Johnson

#29 tyrite

tyrite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

I yous 5 different kinds but the Griffin ones are my favorite!!!
Thank glen ty-rite
Dubbing, Hair & Feathers Tying Flies Is What I Do The Best!
By Glen Dayton........ 36 somerset st, Trenton Ontario Canada
Email @ tyrite01@yahoo.ca phone 1-613-970-3385
www.tyritecustomflyshop.webs.com/

#30 Silver Doctor

Silver Doctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:20 AM

Nor bobbin for small flies the rite for large streamers and deer hair.
--------------------------------------------
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten,
but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.

My blog - casting on the waters
[/color]