Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what bobbin do you use?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Poll: type of bobbin

brand of bobbin you use

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 Hellgrammite

Hellgrammite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Griffin ceramic tip ones. I have 3 of them, want 1 more (I only use 4 colors of thread). Great tools, a huge improvement from the cheapo 2.99 one I started with.

I inherited an old violin and a painting, a Rembrant and a Stradivarius. It turns out Rembrant made lousy violins and Stradivari wasnt much of a painter.

#77 McGnat

McGnat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Old J Dorin with a beveled hole about 3/8ths of an inch back from the tip. No threader needed. Just push the thread through the hole and out the tip.

#78 joman

joman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Typically I use the on clearence type, of th 5 I've gotten this year I've only pitched one, losing 7 cents. The most expensive one I got was 37 cents

#79 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

I honestly don't know what different bobbins I have.  Only two different ones stand in my memory, a couple of  Rite bobbbins I got to handle Spider web thread, which is about 20 denier (I guess) and two S&M bobbins I recently bought off Ebay for a pretty good price...they're the long shaft bobbins and work fine, but I'd rather have the shorter shaft ones.

Most anything that's on sale is what I get.  Got a number of them, I have to hate to change bobbins when I change thread.  Pearsalls silk thread requires a smaller bobbin, of course, and I have a couple of them also.  I don't remember where I got them, but they're not ceramic lined.

#80 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

I use a variety of bobbins but reach more and more for any with a solid ceramic tube. I save the bobbins with inserts (ruby) for heavy and tough thread but for trout flies I always grab the ceramic jobbies. I like the ceramic because they're so smooth and durable (as long as they're not dropped) but because the tube fits into the hook gap on most hooks and allows much better thread control for me.

#81 Davidpensfan87

Davidpensfan87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

I currently use an assortment of 8 bobbins. My favorite one is from Griffin. I recently purchased three bobbins from eBay that are crap. I am planning on buying the Marc Petitjean bobbin soon.

#82 Flyfish007

Flyfish007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Rite

#83 STL_Geoff

STL_Geoff

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

I have a Renzetti ruby tip bobbin from WAY back when I first started tying. Its been used enough that the bead was starting to fall off so I had to tack it back in place. I really wish I could grab a couple more as backups. I have tried a couple others but I really like the renzetti

#84 Stevester

Stevester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

I have accumulated a few over the years. My all time favorite is the original J. Doirin with the hole for the thread up near the tip of the tube. Sorry that I didn't buy more of them when they were still manufactured. I just bought a Rite at the fly tying show in November and like it a lot, especially with the 12/0 Veevus thread I have been playing with for the last few months. I also have a couple of Griffins and a couple of reproductions of the J. Doirin since I like to have  several spools of thread on bobbins handy. Oh, almost forgot that I have a couple of the Petitjean bobbins also. They are nice but just too expensive and can be problematic with really fine threads like the above mentioned Veevus.

Steve

#85 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Since I first posted to this thread about three years ago, I have added a couple of Griffin ceramic bobbins to my collection. They seem to work well with Danville flymaster and Uni spools. I also picked up a ceramic bobbin from Wasatch specifically for use with the small Pearsall's silk spools. It works great. I have tried to find another but they are scarce as hen's teeth. I still like the Matarelli for the slightly smaller spools of Benecchi 12/0 and Griffith's 14/0 threads.

#86 Ty Flyer

Ty Flyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Mine Is a White River Ceramic

Every Day is a Good Day To Fish,                                                 
                                      Just Some Days you catch more.

#87 bellevue.chartreuse.trout

bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

Tiemco ceramic

#88 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

I use several different brands, Tiemco, Griffin, Anglerhause and some knockoffs that I got at a show a number of years ago in Chicago.

The thing I look for is how they fit in my hand.  I have used threads for 12.0 to 210 denier, not really loyal to one brand.  The only requirement for me for a bobbin is a ceramic tube for the thread.  A metal tube is fine for wire.

I presently have a dozen bobbins loaded with different colors of thread plus what is in my travel bag.  The only complaint I have out of any of them is the squeaking out of the Tiemco's.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#89 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:23 AM

Thankyou! It's the only problem i have too! Have to keep rubbing your nose in between the brass ends to get the wax from your nose on them to stop the sqeeking!

#90 Whiteh20

Whiteh20

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

I have switched to the loon bobbins. I bought 6 of them. I really like the feel.