Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dry Flies For Atlantic Salmon

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jconns

Jconns

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

So i've been on a bit of a break from tying flies, and wanted to start tying again, so I figured i'd start with a few dry flies. I know of the bombers and flies of that kind but wanted to try something different. I was just wondering what are some good dry fly patterns for atlantic salmon and sea run trout?

Thanks

#2 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

My vote's for the Wulff series of flies.

#3 Rick Allain

Rick Allain

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:59 AM

Carter's bug...

#4 Jconns

Jconns

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

Thanks a lot guys, looks like i'll be tying a few of these to start off.

Jconns

#5 FWALSH

FWALSH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

Try some Humpies too , the Orange is good for salmon .........Frank

#6 TYR

TYR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

Try some riffling hitch :)

#7 morfrost

morfrost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

Tie up some Humpies with an Orange body, or maybe Yellow. I use Phentex yarn for the body on these Humpies. I also have some light Green Phentex yarn that I will use as well this summer for Salmon. I have had some success in the past with a Wulff pattern using a Highlander Green Seal fur dubbed body. The Humpy has the same type of "buggy" l;ook that the Wulff fly does, at least to my eye. I would tie the Wulffs on a Wilson Dry Fly hook. I think I will try the Salmon Humpy on a #6 or #8 Dry Fly Hook, like a Mustad
# 94840 hook. I think my green is too light, but you never know.

PS

Phentex used to hsve a great Green coloured yarn, about the same colour as Highlander Green. I think they discontinued this colour, since I can't seem to find it. Warren Duncan used to tie " Green Machines" with this stuff. I'd love to get some if anyone has some and can spare a little.

#8 Zee_German

Zee_German

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

Carter's bug...

Yup, I know quite a few guys who'd choose the Carter's bug over the orange bomber. In smaller sizes, they're great for trout too. Fish em' dry on a dead drift, in the film with some action or just down an across, either way, you're likely to find success. When tying a CB, it's important to remember that you're trying to imitate a shrimp - that'll help with getting the shape of the fly. Yellow heads for females, orange for males, although I think you'd be safe to use either in most situations.

#9 Horseshoes

Horseshoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

salmon? who can fish salmon?

When in Nova Scotia stop into JD's Bows & Guns

Reply to this topic