Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

****10 Best Bass Flies****

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fish-n-golfer

fish-n-golfer

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

im new to bass fly fishing, have been catching bluegills for about 7 or 8 years and am getting hyped up on catching some big bass on my 8 wt, i want to know some flies that will catch bass.

#2 Matt24

Matt24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

I don't really know much about bass considering i only fish for them once a year for about two weeks, but some things that worked for me were throwing top-water flies such as poppers deer hair patterns (frogs mice attractor stuff) what also worked was baitfish patterns which i thinked worked well because the bass were spawning and it was a territorial thing. Check the database for flies theirs a lot of them. The green popper did really well for me and its always fun to watch a bass explode on top-water flies

Attached Files

#3 primitivepete

primitivepete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

Think features of good bass flies: rubber legs, motion materials like marabou, flashy stuff, and flies that make a big commotion either on the surface or below it.

I seem to have the best luck with stuff like floating poppers, wooly buggers, baitfish imitations. with bass it's not really a match the hatch game. Anything they can put in their mouth, they will.

#4 MowestFlyfisher

MowestFlyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Poppers, woolly buggers, streamers of all kinds, my favorite is the flashabou streamer in gold. I have used this website for many patterns so far warmwater flytyer this shows alot of patterns for bluegill, large and smallmouth bass crappie and even catfish. i would also check out the database on this website there are many patterns you can browse and choose from.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

~by Henry David Thoreau~

#5 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

I would add crayfish to the menu. Smallies in particular love them smile.gif

#6 Kirk Dietrich

Kirk Dietrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

I like fishing divers either hard bodied, soft foam or deer hair.

Kirk
Every now and then, I'll make a video, wish I could find time to do more; here is the link:
http://www.youtube.c...et?feature=mhee

I've got a few folders with photos of flies, these get more updates than my videos:
http://s136.photobuc...rofile/kirkdiet

https://picasaweb.go...rich?feat=email

#7 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

poppers divers baitfish crayfish helgramites that covers it from the top to the bottom

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#8 Steve P

Steve P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (riffleriversteelheadslayer @ Feb 24 2011, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
poppers divers baitfish crayfish hellgramites that covers it from the top to the bottom

I'll second this notion, with emphasis on the Hellgramites, I've caught more smallies on hellgies as of late than any other pattern in my box by far. Also if thy seem to be hiding in grass or brush in slow moving water throw a mouse at them(that is exciting).

Here is a hellgie pattern very similar to what I fish with some really good step-by stuff here.

HELLGIE

Steve

Why fish for a nasty stinky fish like a trout when you can have real fun and catch a beautiful magnificent creature like a carp.

Check out my YOUTUBE channel for warm water flies and flyfishing how to.

#9 Will K

Will K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

Bunnie Bugger. Money on bass of all sizes.

Attached Files

#10 dafunk5446

dafunk5446

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

All time favorite bass fly is a bunny leach (spin the body fur in a dubbing loop to decrease weight. Crayfish, bucktail streamers, zonkers, and big sparrows also work really well.
I love the smell of Borax in the morning

Check out my blog at http://thecoloradoex...t.blogspot.com/

#11 gaeronf

gaeronf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hellgramites, me and the pop went to a glacial lake one time. We got smallie after smallie after smallie. Remeber, add rubber legs!

#12 fish-n-golfer

fish-n-golfer

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

thanks for all the replies, trying to post some pictures of my most recent outing, with a fly of my own creation, 8 bass in a local pond, in about an hour and a half, will get the pics on here soon