Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

mallard flank

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Druce

Druce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

hey all, i was jusy wondering if anyone has tied any productive streamers that use mallard flank, i got a bunch of olive and brown dyed flank from a friend and alot are very long, i usually only tie in size 10 or 12 any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Druce
I like to fish

#2 flytyer166

flytyer166

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

i too, have had tons of mallard flank. what i do is i tie original bucktail patterns and then substitute the bucktail with the mallard flank. another idea is to tie wooly buggers with a folded over back made with mallard to kind of look like a wiggler.

i hope this helps

#3 Rodd Gunn

Rodd Gunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

You could tie the Hornberg Special Streamer in various colors. They can be tied on small or large hooks.
Rodd Gunn

#4 deeky

deeky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

Zoo cougar uses mallard flank.

And it's going to come out anyway, so, I'll recomend you to the pattern database here and you can browse by material. Under 'Feathers' is Mallard Flank, and I think that gave me something like 7 pages of patterns (not necessarily all streamers). Look at those and either tie them or use them for inspiration.

I love Mallard flank and Bronze Mallard. I think I need to do some duck hunting this fall - I've bought and I've gotten some harvested wild feathers. Feathers straight off the duck beat the massed produced baggies hands down.

Deeky

#5 the saltydog

the saltydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

Gartside soft hackle streamers use mallard flank and can be tied on non-stainless steel hooks for fresh water

#6 Camo Clad Warrior

Camo Clad Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

I tie most of my umbrella style maribou leeches using mallard flank to finish it off...
"Noone who does not know how to catch a fish should be able to disgrace it by catching it."

"Casting is an art that is performed on a 4 count rythm between 4 o'clock and 2 o'clock."

#7 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

The Hornburg uses them. Great over looked fly that can be fished wet or dry. Mallard makes great shiner streamers.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.