Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

tyer or tier

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: tyer or tier

How do you spell tyer or tier

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bluegill576

bluegill576

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

I was wondering how you guys spell tyer. I think that it is tyer like the magazine (fly tyer), but the way that the dictionary says is tier. How do you guys spell it.

#2 flyderaght

flyderaght

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Depends what english your using. I suspect tyer is british originally and tier is american. here in canada our english is much closer to britsh english versus american english. as an example america spells nite where as we spell it night is all semantics anyways.
marc

#3 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

the proper grammar is tier, the computer doesn't even recognize tyer (see the red lines when you type it?)
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#4 bluegill576

bluegill576

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Flytyer14 @ Apr 21 2011, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the proper grammar is tier, the computer doesn't even recognize tyer (see the red lines when you type it?)

I guesse the "proper" spelling depends on where you are. (just noticed that you only have 6 more posts till you hit 2000)

#5 NJFlyMAn

NJFlyMAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

I spell it all the time {tyer} just to be different. And I think everyone understands the word {tyer} when i use it? If they don't? Oh well...

#6 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Only one book comes up on Amazon spelled tier. All the others are tyer, most if not all American published and authored. The most notable American's referred to their craft as tyers.

Attached File  DSCF2761.JPG   5.83MB   9 downloads
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.

#7 horizons

horizons

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/007135736X

Always heard tyer was proper. They say our kids will never know how to spell in a few more years because of spell check.

#8 FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

I agree that it should be tyer. But I do often change it out of impulse when I see the spell check error. Anyone want to weigh in on the plural form of fly smile.gif

#9 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

The correct way to spell night is night both in Great Britian, Canada, and The United States.

Spell check will indicate that tyer is missspelled, and a google search on "fly tyer" brings more hits that a search on "fly tier." The search on Bing, also brings more hits on "fly tier (231,000 hits on "fly tyer" and 32,000,000 hits on "fly tier.")

This would indicate that tier is the more common spelling, but when you start to type fly tyer into a google search, the drop down list many common additions, like Fly Tyer magazine, Fly Tyers Dungeon etc.

For what ever reason, the way we WANT to spell it, and the "correct" way don't always seem to be in agreement.

I spell it tyer as in utyer.
"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#10 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

Sorry double post

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#11 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

Tyer is a misspelling. This was done by Fly Tyer Magazine because "Fly Tier" is a generic word that could not be trademarked. They invented "Tyer" but over the years people began spelling it the same way because that is how then seen it on the magazine.

test

#12 Big J

Big J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

I always thought tyer was the correct usage. Thought tier mean't levels or different ranks. Oh well, grammar isn't my specialty..... (I suck at it.)

#13 salty fly

salty fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

I spell it both ways,I dont know just do.I like the Britt.V. USA That sounds right. I suck at spelling anway.

keep on chuckin'
Bryan Hibbert

AKA'Salty fly'

Surf fish bum

#14 FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

Google has a fun tool to play with this sort of thing: http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/

The link below shows the usage of flytyer and flytier in books that are included in the Google Books archive from 1500 - present day:
http://ngrams.google...amp;smoothing=3

So this makes it look like flytyer is older. but if you separate the word (i.e fly tyer) you get rather different results. If you just use tyer and tier you get skewed results due to the alternate meanings of tier.

#15 bluegill576

bluegill576

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

That's pretty interesting.