Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Preferred Brand of Hooks

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: For freshwater fly fishing, which is your preferred brand of hooks?

For freshwater fly fishing, which is your preferred brand of hooks?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:54 PM

Just out of curiosity, which brand of hooks do you tend to tie on, and why?
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#2 NMflyguy

NMflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:56 PM

Tiemco because its the only barbless my local store carries. odd for a state that has special trout waters that require barbless hooks... dunno.gif

Josh

#3 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

I choose Daiichi. The hooks seem super sharp and strong, I have yet to have one fail me. headbang.gif

test

#4 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:23 PM

Tiemco, for the same reasons Smallie likes Daiichi (which I've never used, but wouldn't mind trying).

#5 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:29 PM

As many flies as tie and use during the year I can't see paying 400% more for with little or even questionable quality differences.
If you say the hook isn't as sharp out of the box then a couple passes over a sharpening stone will cure that.
Maybe I'm just cheap but I still the standard Mustad hook

OSD.
user posted image

#6 bret

bret

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:14 PM

Gami's are my first choice, maybe its just the name.

#7 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:42 PM

Daiichi, available close to home and always seem sharper than mustads at least in my finger.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#8 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:21 PM

This is a tough one. I love the Daiichi and the Partridges. Mostly because I use the two to tie my spey flies on. But use the Daiichi for most of my lowwater salmon/steelhead flies and misc. But, for most of my business tying (and most of my standard salmon fly hooks for fishing) I use Dairiki's. Mostly because I can buy them in bulk inexpensively. And to date, have had virtually no problems with them.

BUT, I have heard that Mustad is supposed to have a new salmon hook, or improving the one previously made. Haven't heard all the details, but a rumor I had heard. Will see.

#9 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:41 PM

I use the Daichii' also. It's DEFINITELY a convenience thing as they're tough to get around here. Like them not only because of the fact they're sharp and durable but I also like the "micro-barbs". Much easier to get out of a fish I intend to release anyway.
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:25 PM

Really hard to say, i have and still do use all the ones mentioned and i find certian ones fit each pattern such as Mustads for salmon, Partrudge for "classic" styles, daichi for trout ect,ect..

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#11 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:07 PM

I would say that 90% of my flies are tied on Mustad hooks. I never had any problems with them and they are cheap!!!!

David
www.vulcanzone.com

#12 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:39 PM

I use Patridge for all my Salmon flys, I'm going to get some Alex Jackson hooks soon want to test the Spey & Dee Waters someday soon. I like the gold finish one's.
As for trout, Mustad is my choice, not sure why though....I guess cause I started out on Mustad and that's all the local shops carried. Now that I have ordering power I'm testing the water with other brands.

Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

riversedgeflyfishing@ns.sympatico.ca

#13 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:14 AM

What I use most is a pretty easy question.

Eagle Claw

Most of my flies are clouser minnows fished in very rocky places for stripers and most of my flies end up attached to these rocks.

If each hook cost a buck I'd probably fish more conservatively and catch less fish - with the Eagle Claw 100 for 5 bucks deal I can loose as many as I want and I catch more fish because of it.

For tuniods I use Varias they have short shanks sharp hooks and I've never had one rust, break, or bend.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#14 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 01:38 PM

I as well tie mainly on Eagle Claws for fresh water. I've tied long enough that I tied through the period of really bad Mustad hooks (in the late 80s and early 90s - whole boxes of misshaped hooks (e.g. no closed eyes, misbent bends) and whole boxes of mistempered hooks, either way too soft, or so britlle that dropping a hook would actually let the hook point shatter them) left a really bad taste in the mouth, especially since Mustad'S attitude was you bought'em, they are your no problem now). For salt water I'll tie on both Mustads and Eagle Claws, never had a problem with either. Yes, I've got a long memory!!!

Mark Delaney

So much water, so little time!!
http://chemprof.trip...om/fishing.html

#15 Frank G. Swarner III

Frank G. Swarner III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:52 PM

Tiemco, Daiichi, and Orvis. I think that some Orvis hooks are made by Tiemco and some are made by Daiichi. Not sure about all of them, but I know a few are.

Chip
Not all fisherman are liars.........there's just alot of liars who fish.