Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Preferred Brand of Hooks

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: For freshwater fly fishing, which is your preferred brand of hooks?

For freshwater fly fishing, which is your preferred brand of hooks?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 SDHflyfisher

SDHflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:07 PM

mostly whatever is cheapest but i have used the signature's by mustad and they look really good a little more then the standards but still cheaper then many other brands
Hansen Custom Fly Rods

http://sdhflyfisher.tripod.com/

#17 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:38 PM

I had a mustad hook break at the bend in a Brown Trouts mouth.I raised four our five more fish that day before I relized what had happened.It ticked me off.I still have that busted fly.I have had hooks break in the vice,and other flies that have had the same problem,(Mustad).I still use them because I cant throw them away.I tied up the same fly that I broke in that browns mouthon a TMC hooked and landed that fish.It was 23 inches long and 14 inches at its girth.I have never looked back.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#18 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:51 PM

If you keep fishing and raised for or five more fish with the fly, How can you be sure the rest of the hook was left in the trout’s mouth?
I have caught many 10 to 15 pound steelheads with Mustad standard hooks and the only time I can remember having trouble with a hooks braking is pulling free from snags

A good rule of thumb when fishing with any fly no-mater what hook it is tied on.
“Inspect it often” along with the tippet and leader (especially after a snag or a fish)

OSD.
user posted image

#19 harrisnmo

harrisnmo

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:34 PM

Mustad! Mustad! Mustad!

....err, and an occasional Dai Rikki or Daiichi, and a TMC 2457 every now and then. unsure.gif

Price is a large part of why I choose Mustads over the other, but I'd have to say that I believe strongly in the quality of Mustads as well, and its my confidence in them that also makes me buy... I've had too many of the harder. more expensive heat tempered hooks break in the vise or against rocks on errant backcasts to make me feel any better about shelling out the extra dough... dry.gif

Most of my mustads are a little softer a little more pliable than the other brands, and I've grown to like that. cool.gif

Just me own humble opinion though... mileage may vary biggrin.gif

Nate H.

#20 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:28 PM

Mustad standard, have never had one break and never had one fail as long as I tied it on correctly or didn't hook a tree LOL.

Fatman
Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman

#21 pacres

pacres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:33 PM

I'm with OSD on Mustad. The quality is great, and I have only ever broken one in a vice. Mustad Signature also is used quite a bit on my bench because of the curves of some. The C49s and the C53s are great. For salmon hooks, the Tiemco 7999 is a good standard hook to use.

#22 welshtyer

welshtyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 05:24 AM

hi guys,i use kamazan mainly, they are reliable reasonably priced and readily available,tiemco and mustad are expensive over here and some of the other makes we can't get

#23 Tyrone

Tyrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:36 PM

Daiichi seem to work for me. So far a can't say anything bad about them yet.

#24 JarrodRuggles

JarrodRuggles

Banned from fishing in 48 states~!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:39 PM

I really think that DIA-RIKI makes good en's. FOR ONE...they dont break. FOR TWO....they are sharp. FOR THREE...they are cheap
banned from fishing the other 2 states...

#25 mmarkey

mmarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:10 AM

I voted OTHER.

Mainly because I don't tend to use the same hooks all the time. It's primarily an issue of availability. I used to use Mustad almost exclusively but lately they seem harder for me to find so I buy Orvis, Tiemco, or whatever I can find to fit a requirement.

I try to buy good hooks well formed with sharp points that are well tempered steel. Those three brands seem to serve well for me.
Mike Markey
BE THE HERON!!

#26 flytyer56

flytyer56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

I tie mostly on Mustad or their Signature hooks. However I've been looking at the Allen Fly co. hooks. I haven't bought any yet but I am thinking about it. Anybody have any experience with the Allen hooks?

Flytyer56