Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Czech Nymph SBS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gaeronf

gaeronf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

This is for the step-by-step contest. I'll humbly submit my Czech Nymph Step By Step.

Recipe:
Hook-Any Grub/Shrimp/Scud/Czech nymph hook
Thread-Flat Tan
Rib-Monofilament Thread
Abdomen-Insect Green Synthetic Dubbing
Hot Spot-Bright Red Synthetic Dubbing
Thorax-Hare's Ear Dubbing, Dark Brown
Head-Thread

Posted Image
1.) Start the thread and add some lead wire or tape for weight. You do not have to add it, but it will aid in the sinking process. Also, lead tape has it's advantages, letting you shape the body of your nymph precisely how you would like it.

Posted Image
2.) Tie in a Fine Mono-filament Rib. It's like a Danville's thread, so don't waste your money on buying tippet for this purpose.

Posted Image
3.) Dub your body with a little thicker body than you normally would. Stop a little earlier than you would normally to make your thorax.

Posted Image
4.)Then dub your hot-spot right infront of your abdomen. Make sure it's some bright color. This dubbing also has to be synthetic.

Posted Image
5.)Now, half hitch the thread two times and trim off your thread. Making sure your rib is out of the way, heat the whole fly with the flame. This will cause the body to somewhat shrivel up, illustrated in image 5a.

Posted Image
5a-Shriveled Up Body

Posted Image
6.) Restart your thread. Then, wrap your rib up through the whole abdomen, including the hot spot and tie it off. You can use wire to make more pronounced segmentation's if you wish.

Posted Image
7.) Using the split-thread dubbing technique, load in some dark brown natural dubbing. You want it to be natural so you can easily pick out the legs. After wrapping your dubbing on, it should look somewhat like what is pictured in 7a.

Posted Image
7a-Dubbed Thorax.

Posted Image
8.) Brush down all the looser fibers from the thorax. Try not to comb out any of the abdomen fibers. You can also use your fingers and a bodkin to help. Something I do, that takes some practice, is once you have that complete, singe the very top of the thorax with a lighter to somewhat "seal" it. Be careful otherwise you might end up melting through your rib.

Posted Image
9.) Whip finish and trim off your thread. Put on some glue or head cement to seal the top of the fly. You can also use UV curing goo to make a "shell back" on the fly. I only do this for durability purposes.

Posted Image
10.) Your fly is complete.

#2 gaeronf

gaeronf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Questions, comments, critiques, concerns?

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

reminds me of this one

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=50901
Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#4 gaeronf

gaeronf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

Ugh. Darn! I didn't know there was another. Sorry about that. Thanks for the link though.

#5 gaeronf

gaeronf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Actually flytire, it may remind you of that one, but this is a different fly entirely due to the fact that it is tied using a completely different style of tying. Critiques are welcome...

#6 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

Looks good.
Yes, there a numerous Czech nymph tutorials on this forum...but obviously none exactly like yours.
So you are good in that respect.
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you