Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Big Mayfly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 buzzin frog

buzzin frog

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Saw this at a lake with water temps in the mid to high seventies so i am a little perplexed,I'm assuming it came from a nearby stream, some of which do hold trout, any ideas? It was by far the largest mayfly i've ever seen.

Posted Image

#2 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

My guess is Hexagenia limbata. They are a burrowing type Mayfly and inhabit lakes and slow streams with silty bottoms. They are big.

#3 buzzin frog

buzzin frog

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

I thought it was some type of hex, thanks for the id

#4 ikerajala

ikerajala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

I think we got those same mayflies here in Idaho.They fly a long way away from lake pend orielle before they shed there skin from duns to imagoes, or however that works.Like a couple of miles away from the lake!!!.That one looks like It has already shed its skin.

#5 ChromeDreams

ChromeDreams

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

One of my favorite hatches. Smallmouth on the hex. Sigh... doesn't last long enough.

Attached Files

#6 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

Hexigenia Limbata spinner.

sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#7 rott

rott

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

It could be a Green drake

#8 Druce

Druce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

The specimen is much too out of focus, I cannot key it out or positively ID it. It could be a hex but these insects range in appearance greatly region to region.

Good luck.
Druce
I like to fish

#9 perchjerker

perchjerker

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hexagenia limbata here in Texas, both here around Houston on the coast, and Waco, in Central Texas, look just like those from Michigan. The yellowish body and brownish spots on each segment definitely point to Hexagenia limbata, at least as I know it here in my area.