Fly Tying

Montana Stone

Thanks for bring this old fly back on line. I have used every stone nymph for our Steelhead here on the Rogue, but just keep passing this one up, and it use to serve me well years ago. Time to tye a few up again. You did an outstanding job on it.

David

Thanks for your kind words on the Stone's

Here is some information about the "Montana Stone Fly" That might be interesting to some.

Insects of the order " Stoneflies"are a vital part of the food chain on many Pennsylvania trout streams, especially in nymphal form. In Central PA both Penn's and Fishing Creeks hold excellent populations of Plecoptera nymphs, and stonefly nymphs are a good year-round pattern choice on both of these waters. Stonefly nymphs can also be fished successfully on freestone waters like the Delaware River and those of North central PA.

Because stoneflies have multi-year life cycles, there are always nymphs in the substrate, further emphasizing their importance where they occur. Common sense dictates using larger patterns in spring until the May-early July hatch period is over and smaller flies to suggest the half-grown nymphs still present in the summer and fall.

The Montana Stone, by contrast, uses few materials and is relatively simple to fashion. Im not sure who the clear-cut originator for the Montana, as it is often called. Without question, however, it is a fly of Western birth that has migrated east. A color variation, Ted's Stone (brown tails, brown body and wingcase, orange thorax, and brown hackle) was created by the late Field and Stream writer, Ted Trueblood. Both patterns produce well on Eastern streams where Plecoptera are present.

Here is a pic of the Stone I made from Ted's colors.

I might give them a try if I go Sleelhead fishing in the spring.

user posted image

LW