Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

November 2011: Flies from the Vise

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

Ok, here is some I did yesterday. These nine flies are all size 18, and 20 and the same hackle feather was used for all of them.

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#2 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

Here's a couple of my latest flies. Not the greatest but whatever..

Attached Files

-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#3 Yeti

Yeti

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

I've been getting some big flies ready for winter steel. Here's a zonker pattern I recently finished.

Attached File  DSC_0025.JPG   4.56MB   49 downloads

#4 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

I put this up to a vote and by a unanimous decision the members have decided it was better to have a monthly "Flies from the Vise" topic.

So, here it is. Post a photo of a fly you have tied recently, feel free to add any info about the fly you want(why your tying it, material list, etc). Also, comments and questions to the tiers that post flies are encouraged as well.

As a way to kick this thing off I'm going to give away 3 fly boxes to 3 randomly chosen members that post a fly to this topic.

This new monthly format is only going to work with a decent amount of participation so jump in and have fun.

test

#5 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

Well ok I guess I'll be the first to jump in. This fly I got from Peter Frailey's website. I'm a big fan of using natural materials so I tied up a few these to try out probably next season. I'm gonna send some to my son-in-law to try out too. It's called the Ausable Ugly Bugger. I use woodchuck and muskrat and a blended natural dubbing for the body.

Mike

Attached Files

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#6 Jan Korrubel

Jan Korrubel

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

Noted the use of muskrat in Mike's Ausable Ugly Bugger above, so thought I'd put up somthing similar that's been very successful for me here in South Africa, stillwater in the bigger sizes (#8 / #6) and river/stream in the smaller sizes (#10 / #12): my rendition of Polly Rosborough's "Casual Dress" that I tie either with a bead or not.

Only 2 main ingredients: muskrat for tail, body and collar, and ostrich herl for the head. Bead and any other weighting optional.

Attached Files

#7 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

I like that, nice variation, and simple. You just can't beat natural materials in my book.

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#8 Johny Utah

Johny Utah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Posted Image

I twist these up for late fall, winter, and early spring fishing. They work great on a dead drift, with a rise at the end. Full tutorial, and material listing on my blog, Utah's Fly Corner

#9 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Here a couple of things from yesterday, Rainbow warriers, and disco midges.

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#10 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

Classic muddler from today. I finally got the secondary wing feathers to make a truly classic Don Gapen muddler.
Hook-Sabre-6 3xl
tail-matched turkey secondary wing feathers
body-gold mylar
rib-silver wire
wing-gray squierrl tail I got from behind the house
overwing-matched pair of turkey secondary wing feather
Collar'pectoral fins' Deer hair placed around the hook in a distribution method.
head-spun natural whitetail from a deer i took in 08

Notes-i've recently tyed around 3 dozen muddlers,though I've never fished them much. I plan to start very soon as this is an all round fly. It can be a sculpin,bullhead,hopper,stonefly, small mouse the possibilities are endless and i'm starting to realize it!
shane stover
p.s. i'm offering 30% off all winter fly fishing packages and a very special father and son package that you cannnot beat!Attached File  008.JPG   1.06MB   40 downloads

#11 Kimo

Kimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

Re-stocking my boxes.
#28 Extended-Body Baetis
Posted Image

Mahalo,
Kimo

#12 Fly Willy

Fly Willy

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

Around Ottawa, Canada, we have to rely on our Smallmouth Bass and Walleye populations to get us through the year (we don't have many trout here). Come fall, big full slow moving Clouser minnows and Crays do the trick in the tailouts.

Posted Image

There is a whole tying season left, adn tehre should be plenty coming off of my vise over the next few months.

Fly Willy
Any day on the water is better than one at my vise, and I love tying flies.

#13 Fly Willy

Fly Willy

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:34 AM

Around Ottawa, Canada, we have to rely on our Smallmouth Bass and Walleye populations to get us through the year (we don't have many trout here). Come fall, big full slow moving Clouser minnows and Crays do the trick in the tailouts.

Posted Image

There is a whole tying season left, adn tehre should be plenty coming off of my vise over the next few months.

Fly Willy
Any day on the water is better than one at my vise, and I love tying flies.

#14 colaps

colaps

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

i hope you like it.

Posted Image

materials :

-lead wire
-foam strip ( from a game :) )

i like to keep the fly very simple and always for low budget.

regards.

#15 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

Posted Image

DEPTH CHARGE MIDGE…Side View…

HOOK: Daiichi 1250, or TMC 206 BL, #18-#20, TMC 200R, #18-#22

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, White

RIB: Lagartun, x-Fine, Copper

WINGLETS: Mirage Opal Tinsel, SM

THORAX: Ice Dub, UV Brown

BEAD # 1.: Black Tungsten, sized to hook

BEAD # 2.: Killer Caddis, Diamond, 15/0

This pattern may also be tied in Brown, Gray, Olive, Black or Red using Gordon Griffith 14/0 thread or other Tiemco colors…the bead,and rib colors may also be changed for what works in a particular area. For #20 and #22, the thorax dubbing may be omitted…

Posted Image

DEPTH CHARGE MIDGE…tilted view…

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/