Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What type of flies to you find most challenging?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: What type of fly to you find most challenging to tie?

What type of fly to you find most challenging to tie?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 flyfishingheaven

flyfishingheaven

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 12:24 PM

Feel free to describe your most challenging tie.

#2 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:07 PM

I said streamer but really meant those fancy salmon spey patterns that I drool over submitted by all the members bugeyes.gif

Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#3 JasonN

JasonN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:36 PM

Ditto. You should add an option for classic salmon patterns. That, or specify that you don't want people to count those, so you get a better survey of the other types.

#4 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:42 PM

I find them all challenging because I've never tied a sly. laugh.gif
only kidding...as far as the poll goes I picked hairwing because I tied my first one's (steelhead/salmon) the other day.so far I have tied abbout 35 to 40.

My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#5 witchfisher

witchfisher

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:38 AM

Epoxy.
Never tried actually, as I am allergic to epoxy.
J blink.gif

#6 cornmuse

cornmuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:09 PM

I assumed by "streamers" that you were referring to traditional Maine streamers. They can be challenging. I am really surprised that you didn't include spun deer hair as a voting category. Most folks I know hate spinning hair.

I'd say my personal weakness is in tying married quill wings (or any quill wings for that matter). I don't do it enough to be proficient, so when I DO try I end up with something that looks like the fly I posted in the Warm Water forum help.gif

Joe C.
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each."
- Henry David Thoreau

Visit Fly Fish Ohio for great fly fishing and fly tying articles, the "Adventures in Fly Tying" monthly video podcast and the "Adventures in Fly Fishing" monthly audio podcast. The Midwest isn't a place you fly over to get to good fishing - it's right here in our own backyards.

Think globally - fish locally.

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,474 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:18 PM

Hairwing salmon/steelhead flies have givin me more trouble than anything else for the past few months.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#8 munky

munky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:27 PM

Yes the full dressed salmon patterns by far. Other than that, hairwing flies are a bit of a challenge for me. The floss bodies are a challenge to keep even.

#9 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:29 PM

Anything smaller than a #14 is difficult. I've seen some amazing flies tied on a #32 hook, I could never do that.
blink.gif
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#10 Bamboo Addict

Bamboo Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:40 PM

Full Dress has to be put on the list, Dee Strip, and Spey is in class also.
David

#11 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:17 AM

Terrestrial, specifically trying to tie a hopper that does not look like a birdnest.
Russ Forney

#12 dbl_shot

dbl_shot

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:55 PM

For me... I'd have to say those midge patterns. I typically don't tie anything smaller than a 16. Those smaller like 18 - 22's are just out there. Bad enough to tie but attaching to a tippet yikes...

Cheers, Hansen

#13 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:54 PM

Feather-wing streamers, by far. That's why I held the swap, to get some much needed practice. The bodies are easy, the wings, cheeks, and eyes are still a pain in the @$$ for me. Thankfully, I'm using the Stevens method of gluing them all up before mounting them on the hook, but it's still no picnic.
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#14 Caddisfly

Caddisfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:23 PM

I hate to tie Prince nymphs. For some reason, I have an awful time with the white horns on the front. When I'm done, the darn things point in whichever direction they want. I don't let it stop me, I tie them anyway, and the fish don't mind how they look.
Caddisfly

#15 jmmccutc

jmmccutc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:33 PM

just wait, some day you'll all be as good as me and then you won't have any problems tying all sorts of flies... tongue.gif

seriously, i have to say my dry flies, not because they are hard but because i'm a perfectionist, i won't settle for second best and i'm always trying to make them better...i can't say the classic salmon flies cause i've never tried to tie them...and my deer hair bass bugs have progressed to a level that i feel comfortable with (not saying that they are great, but they do catch fish)