Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What type of flies to you find most challenging?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: What type of fly to you find most challenging to tie?

What type of fly to you find most challenging to tie?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:08 PM

I've not played with the full dress flies yet either so I'm going to leave those out too biggrin.gif

For me it's the spun deer hair bassbugs. Once I got a brassie hair packer that portion of it has improved but the trimming into popper type shapes and detailing with multiple colors of deer hair in an effort to do much beyond a simple band of color added just gives me fits! What I wouldn't give for an afternoon with mr Helms over in Toledo!
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#17 Nick Williams

Nick Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Dry flies! Probably a combination of lesser hackles, small hooks, and patience, but I never like how they come out. 

#18 HalfDunn

HalfDunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

I put terrestial. For some reason I can never tit a decent beetle pattern.  Also post and parachute agggggggggggh.

#19 Christopher K

Christopher K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Has to be a deer hair popper for me, for some reason I have a hard time getting a cupped or even flat face.