Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hellgramite Swap

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 famill00

famill00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Bass absolutely love Hellgramites, so let's do a swap where we all tie up our favorite version of the Hellgramite. Due date will be March 15, 2012. First 12 are in. Everyone please tie up 12 flies. You will not get one of your own back. Please include toetags on your flies and include a self addressed stamped envelope with enough postage to cover the return of the flies. Your flies will be returned in whatever container you send them to me in. All swap rules apply.

SWAP CLOSED

-Forrest

Forrest - Swapmiester - Clousers Hellgrammite -DONE
1)Knightstalker - Hellgramite Nymph -RECEIVED
2)Eaglerapids - Murray's Strymph -RECEIVED
3)CrookedHook - Dobson Larvae
4)sherrib - RECEIVED
5)Ratdz - Might Mite Hellgrammite -RECEIVED
6)Easternfly RECEIVED
7)heavynets - Hellgrammite String Fly -RECEIVED
8)Jimboha - Dougherty's Hellgramaniac-RECEIVED

Bill Siemers is going to join us. He is sending in a dozen. I mistakenly missed seeing where he said he was in. I will divide the flies up equally and send them out.RECEIVED

#2 Knightstalker

Knightstalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

I'll by the first to be in with a hellgramite nymph
Kyle

#3 Eaglerapids

Eaglerapids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hellgramites have largely flown under my radar so I'll take up this challenge and tie Murray's Strymph for this swap if I may. I'm very curious to see what everybody else ties and I know of some bass ponds nearby to test them out on.

#4 famill00

famill00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

You two are in!

-Forrest

#5 CrookedHook

CrookedHook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Im In if that is ok. Not sure what kind of hellgramite Ill send, but I will let you know.
Thanks
Always keep two coins on hand for the boat man!

#6 famill00

famill00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

Im In if that is ok. Not sure what kind of hellgramite Ill send, but I will let you know.
Thanks

Yep, you are in!

-Forrest

#7 CrookedHook

CrookedHook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

Thanks

Yep, you are in!

-Forrest

I am gonna try my hand at tying a regular Dobson Larvae

#8 sherrib

sherrib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

I have never tied a hellgramite so if you will have me I will give it my best shot!
Women who behave seldom make history.

#9 famill00

famill00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

I have never tied a hellgramite so if you will have me I will give it my best shot!

Done! I figured this would be a good way for us to all challenge ourselves as there are not a ton of Helgie patterns out there.

Let me know if you come up with a particular pattern name.

-Forrest

#10 sherrib

sherrib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

Done! I figured this would be a good way for us to all challenge ourselves as there are not a ton of Helgie patterns out there.

-Forrest

Actually I searched the data base for a pattern and think I should bow out. They look extremely hard and I am not that great of a tyer, afraid wouldn't be fair to the others in the swap

#11 famill00

famill00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

-Forrest

Actually I searched the data base for a pattern and think I should bow out. They look extremely hard and I am not that great of a tyer, afraid wouldn't be fair to the others in the swap

Sherri,

Don't give up yet. Search the internet and see what you come up with. There are easier patterns out there. Let me know what you decide. If you need help, send me a PM.

-Forrest

#12 sherrib

sherrib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

-Forrest

Sherri,

Don't give up yet. Search the internet and see what you come up with. There are easier patterns out there. Let me know what you decide. If you need help, send me a PM.

-Forrest

Looking at u tube right now, I will do my best and any help would be appreciated.

#13 sherrib

sherrib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

-Forrest

What size hook do you recommend

Sherri,

-Forrest

Looking at u tube right now, I will do my best and any help would be appreciated.

#14 famill00

famill00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Sherri,

At any time you need help feel free to post a pic of what you have. We can all chip in and provide help. Thanks for sticking in there!

-Forrest

#15 CrookedHook

CrookedHook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Sherri,

At any time you need help feel free to post a pic of what you have. We can all chip in and provide help. Thanks for sticking in there!

-Forrest

Yeah shoot, just tye a wooly bugger with some biots down the side. I killed them with one just like that in Lwer Mountain Fork in Broken Bow Oklahoma a few weeks ago. Here is the pic:

Thing.JPG